Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: NanoClass-Pico

Threaded View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    252

    Default NanoClass-Pico

    Hi,

    Firstly, thanks to Selwyn, Bill and (unknowingly to him) Brian Dill. I have been on the 3dprintedradioyachts site on countless occasions and have been inspired (basically stolen lol) ideas from the layouts and angles used on the decks etc.
    And with regards to Selwyn in particular - I have been as blunt as "I have this problem. Have you figured it out so I don't have to waste my time trying to re-invent the wheel?" and he has been on point with the answer.
    There are also some guys who have done some crazy CAD stuff on Facebook RG65 group.

    EDIT - Forgot to thank Claudio for the design/rig plan!!!!

    I thought I'd start loading some pics of my progress so far.
    Everything is going well in terms of weight and strength. My method seems to be rather complicated compared to some others but I've been having a blast
    I've got a hull done and floated it without any keelfin and it's sitting really well in the water already.
    Keelfin is made and the bulb and rudder are in CAD almost ready to go.

    My main considerations while designing the files for print were to maintain the alignment of the mast, keelfin and rudder.
    So the hull and internals for it would ideally be printed as a single piece - this would mean that I cannot use "Vase mode"
    I'm using Marlin firmware with Slic3r Prusa Edition for slicing the CAD file.

    Behold the outcome in all its glory..... not.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	01_SternAttempt1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	321.1 KB
ID:	16518

    Click image for larger version

Name:	02_Toothpick2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	294.3 KB
ID:	16519

    Click image for larger version

Name:	03_ToothpickRudder.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	16520

    This was one of my first attempts on my new printer.
    The finish was terrible as I hadn't calibrated my extruder and setup my firmware correctly at this point - but I just couldn't wait.
    There was horrible over extrusion but it proved that I could get an actual section printed!
    This test also showed up some issues with my design......

    Click image for larger version

Name:	04_BadDesign.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	248.5 KB
ID:	16521

    Click image for larger version

Name:	05_BadDesign2.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	16522


    I was attempting to get a rounded profile to make printing easier. When I used fillet on the CAD file I didn't pay attention to that section which lies horizontal to the horizon when printing. The printer didn't stand a chance.
    It also showed up the following issue which bothered me. It's an artefact of from printing a single wall hull and internal structure at the same time.

    Click image for larger version

Name:	06_Issues.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	16523

    What's happening is two issues.

    1. If I was using a solid body and using "vase mode" in the Slicer program, the printer would do a continual loop one layer wide around the hull shape. I can't do this as I want an internal structure.
    So it prints the main hullshape and then stops, makes a small blob and goes to the internal structure. It's not that bad and could be sanded but it kind of defeats the point.
    2.If you look carefully there are holes in the hull, right next to the rudder trunk, top right. I believe that this was down to getting the extrusion width wrong on my Slic3r settings (It's actually quite illogical but worked). I'll go into this later as it has an incredible impact on the print.

    To be continued.....
    Last edited by Naptalene; 09-08-2017 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Forgot Claudio - oops

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts