+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Announcing the exciting new NANO class

Default Announcing the exciting new NANO class

The NANO class has just been announced by the International Radio Sailing Association. I realize that new classes pop up all the time, most of which seem to be just a variation of something we already have...but this one is really quite different.

Graham Bantock was recently asked, "What is the point of the NANO class?" Here is what he had to say:

"The advent of 3D printing fittings and other parts for rc boats raises the possibility of a class where the hulls and other parts are largely constructed by 3D printing and, probably, by the end user. Although this may well work in the existing RG65 and FOOTY classes, those class rules permit conventional moulded carbon fibre for the hull and deck structures and this confers a large weight/stiffness advantage to boats built using ‘hi tech’ methods

A new class rule devised specifically to cater for those who want to create their own boat, primarily by printing it themselves, would seem to be a logical step for the sport.

Such a class is an ideal one in which students of all ages can test their design and build skills. Perfect for craft, design and technology projects. The possibility of designing the boat on Friday and going racing on Saturday has become a reality.

Importantly the class raises the possibility of readily available low cost boats within an open class that is ideal for those starting the sport of rc sailing. You do not have to choose a one design with no freedom to experiment.

Objectives of NANO class

Sailors are quite likely to be able to design and build the majority of their own boat
    Hull and associated structural parts may only be made by 3D printing
    No hull/boat certification process
    No sail area measurement
    Event measurement only
    Draught/length ratio not so large that fin technology rules – 0.45 length maximum
    Tightly controlled rig size and number

Provisional class rules have been launched in May 2017. It is anticipated that feedback from users may assist with refinement of the class rules, if required, to help achieve the desired objectives."

The basics specs include: Open class rules, 3D printed hulls and parts only, Hull length 500 mm, Sail height max. 900 mm, Draught 225 mm.

The complete rule is here: https://www.radiosailing.org/classes/nano-class.

If you haven't seen what Selwyn Holland and I have been doing with 3D hull development, take a look at the RG65 or Footy threads.
    Last edited by mudhenk27; 05-25-2017 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Claudio pointed out that, having a similar LOA to MicroMagic, the NANO isn't unique

Default Re: Announcing the exciting new NANO class

Quote Originally Posted by mudhenk27 View Post
    The NANO class has just been announced by the International Radio Sailing Association. I realize that new classes pop up all the time, most of which seem to be just a variation of something we already have...but this one is really unique. ....
    All that is interesting, but behind the IRSA initiative there is probably something else !
    Nano is not unique, in the range of 50/55cm exist the proven model like MicroMagic of Graupner for less than 150$ and available in less than 1 hours if you are close to shop or via the web without spending the price of 3D printer !

I do tend to agree to the "propaedeutic purpose" that IRSA may have in mind were future skippers can learn 3D CAD and how to use 3D printer ! this is the future, while, as I said to Selwyn and in agreement with Bantock, the Carbon and Kevlar lamination are superior without the unwanted risks of Warping and Shrinking.

Designing on Friday and Sailing on Saturday, this is another story !!!
    Last edited by claudio; 05-25-2017 at 09:19 AM.

Rad!!!

I'll go check out the rules
    I think the point of the class is for someone like myself. The makers. It's not about the racing but about building things. I didnt get a 3d printer to make yachts, I got one because it's awesome in its own right. The fact that I can use it with the yachts is an added bonus.

The really cool thing is the carbon filaments would appear to have a weight disadvantage which makes things fun

Claudio, sometimes I don't understand where you get your ideas.

I'm a member of the IRSA Technical Committee, and I took part in developing the provisional rule with other IRSA members. Graham initially suggested the idea, based on the results he saw from Selwyn's work. We then all hashed out the new rule.

I can assure you that there was no motive for setting up the class other than what is stated on the IRSA site. Initially 350mm had been proposed, but the 500mm length was decided as a good compromise between handling (avoiding the Footy's propensity to dive) and convenience for printing in a couple of sections with most available printers. There was never a mention of the MicroMagic in our discussion.

Since the MicroMagic is a one-design class, and the NANO is an open class intended to encourage self-design and the development of print technology, I see no similarity other than that of length. If that's not unique enough for you, then I stand corrected. I hope you will accept the change to my original post.

As I said and as an observer/reader, I appreciate the IRSA idea if all is set for "propaedeutic purpose" dedicated to those who are really concern about learning and discovering new technology, but 'pros' and 'cons' should also be clearly explained. Very little so far !
    There is more money and time involved compared with out of the shelf models and ready for use in the 50cm range.
    Substantial investment is required. No many get out the bed in the morning and start 3D design !
    3D Cad need complex learning and this take time, 3D Printers are around 1000$, 4 times the cost of a MicroMagic, at the end it is not even sure that the design of Friday can sail on Saturday...
    This is my idea !!

Seems like a unsure way of introducing people to sailing, when so many "Makers" classes are around. After a probable time to print of perhaps25 hours, and not knowing if the boat will float unless very specific plans are made available........seems like a solution for a yet unrealized problem. We can't get people interested in building an RG sized boat, even with a ton of free drawings available, I fear a dim future for something this small --especially when well known sailors will always suggest to new sailors to get the largest boat available within their budget because larger boats respond better to waves and wind wind than small boats.

Maybe some of that committee needs to make a few, distribute to review and trial, and THEN consider a new class.

Just my personal opinion. What is the current status of the FOOTY class (here in the US)?

I'm exactly what Dick has just described..... happy to throw myself into the deep-end build wise but I'd like to know that it would work if I built it properly.
    Any chance that there could be a "Plain Jane" hull created for those if us who have never designed?
    You know how the JIF65 is a common first attempt at a home build? There are the line plans and clear notes for where to put the mounts etc. Can't you guys put something like that together?
    And to be honest I would make it a lines plan and not the STL files or Cad lines. This will get people to learn how to put things into CAD and print from that point on which is kind of the point if I'm not mistaken.

I'm really looking forward to it

As Dick said, there is the risk to obtain the contrary effect of what desired, the fault will be fully reversed on 3D printing all together.
    IRSA instead to legitimate a new model design among the others, should better promote first Naval Architecture cultural knowledge.
    Unfortunately not all modelers are Naval Architects and will be not the 3D CAD and Printers that will fill the gap.
    3D printing, according to various readings do have already various quality limitations for our models, it may become worst when printing bad plans.
    In all that there is money involved and I do not think that the acquisition of 3D printer will serve to make several hull clones.

OK guys, this is just the announcement. Our next step will be, as you suggest, to offer files for printing. That will provide a path for those like Andrew who are excited about the technology, who probably already have printers, and want to try printing a boat. We need to develop the place and method for sharing the files. I would be glad to post IGES files here for my hull designs, but it is not a supported format for attachments.

Dick, the Footy class is stagnant here. It had an exciting number of years, but then excitement died. There are over 100 Footy skippers, but the only regular racing is in the Northeast. Before attributing that to it's small size, though, note that the same has happened to the Marblehead and 10Rater classes. Clearly the trend is toward one-design classes...as Claudio pointed out, MicroMagic is an example that is popular in the small-size category. IRSA, however, is international, and in other countries the Footy, M and 10R classes thrive.

Claudio, we have never expected a bunch of people to run out and buy printers because we established the NANO class. Rather, we recognized the rapidly growing number of people who have printers, and think that the trend toward lower costs over time and growing numbers of tech-savvy young people will continue to add to that. I would not be surprised to see a 3D printer become a normal household item in the future. Don't forget there was a time (not that many years ago) when everyone thought that the cost and learning curve associated with personal computing meant that PC's were only for computer geeks. Now we call them phones.

Will it be for everyone? Of course not...if it were possible for one class to please all, the AMYA wouldn't have over 30 of them. Will it grow beyond just a niche of techies? Who knows?

But have we proven that it works? Yes. And is it innovative and exciting for enough people to get started now? Absolutely.

Until we get a better method, Andrew, and anyone else who would like either a Freeship plan file, or an IGES file, or both for a NANO, Footy, or RG65 hull, can email me at billhagerup@hotmail.com and I'll reply with the files.
    Last edited by mudhenk27; 05-26-2017 at 08:25 AM. Reason: added word "hull"

+ Reply to Thread