+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 3D printed boats

Default Re: 3D printed boats

I'm very keen to go have a look
    Abs would be an amazing plastic and you could do an acetone brush on the interior skin of the hull to weld it up but it's such a pig to use without getting warping.

One of the reasons my build of Claudio's Narrow has ground to a halt was the purchase of a Prusa type acrylic printer. I used it to create the mould for my bulb and got that extremely close to the desired weight.
    I also just printed my first test mould to create a rudder. The test finish was excellent at a print height of 0.1mm with a 0.4mm nozzle.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0021.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	815.4 KB
ID:	16190

And this is the test layup.

Name:	IMG_0023.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	1.69 MB
ID:	16191

So for myself, I'm sitting somewhere between yourself and Claudio. I'm using the printer to create moulds that I can use more traditional methods on. This gives me better resolution than my handcrafting skills allow but I can reference proven cloth weights etc. Having said that, one of my main reasons for not attempting a completed hull is my printer is not up to the task imho. I'm having z-axis issues at larger heights so hopefully I can give it a bash down the line.

Nice work, Naptalene.

A good printer is a significant investment, but the good news is that a professional printer is not required for good results. Of course, the best that can be afforded is the way to go, then time spent testing and working to eliminate things like reduced accuracy at the upper limits of a build. Printing is Selwyn's domain, not mine, but I can say that a printer like the Wombot Exilis can do the job. Perhaps with some more refinement to your setup, your printer can do hulls, too.

Because of the printer cost, Selwyn and I have always shared a vision of the printer being a club resource. Most clubs probably have a couple of geeks like Selwyn and I...one who likes to design and one who likes to engineer. Maybe that's the same person, or maybe the designer is someone whose files are published like Claudio or myself. If everyone in the club chips in to fund the printer, it suddenly becomes much more affordable. All club members can then benefit by having hulls and parts printed at very low cost.

Selwyn and I have had some chuckles during our project, because we are, in fact, prototyping our own vision. The club in our case is a small group that has collaborated, each contributing a particular expertise. And we've even demonstrated that the "club" doesn't have to be local...ours literally spans the globe, and the only frustrating part of that is having to wait a week or more for printings to ship from Australia to the USA!

Have you seen the resin printers .... OMG I need one lol.

Are you guys available anywhere in particular to answer some questions? I'd love to know things like wat brand of filament, material, height resolutions etc. have been chosen for different reasons.
    And silly things like how you choose where to cut the hull, what kind of joints are you using, which glues etc.
    Are the files of hulls available blah blah blah lol. I'd love to be able to try print out an existng design where the stl's have been made so I can have a benchmark of things.

Cheers
    Andrew

Andrew, Selwyn has offered to answer questions here https://3dprintedradioyachts.com/que...ontact-selwyn/

I suggest you read all of the site material, then be as specific as possible.

Bill

I went there last night

I was worried that I would be bugging him in his personal capacity as opposed to on a forum

I'll get my questions coherent and then send him a mail, thanks.

Selwyn sent me some pics of the maiden voyage of our latest RG65.

Name:	20170425_083618.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	16215Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4563.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	614.7 KB
ID:	16216Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4571.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	635.5 KB
ID:	16217Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4657.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	836.2 KB
ID:	16218

Interesting pictures that are the laborious results of a new technology. Congratulations !

What are the mini/micro waves composing the Bow Wave ? Roughness, Vibrations ?

How much the total weight ?

Why not painted ?

ClaudioD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RG65 3D.jpg‎
Views:	24
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	16221  
    Last edited by claudio; 04-25-2017 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks, Claudio.

Total weight is 1020g. Ballast ratio 60%.

I don't think Selwyn wanted to paint it. This way people can better see the printing...not just the hull, but the internal parts, too. People have been very curious about this when he sails.

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know what forms the waves. I sent a couple pictures to Graham Bantock for his thoughts. He suggested that they are capillary waves that are more prominent the shorter the hull length, and nothing can be done about them. He did feel, however that the boat was trimmed a bit nose down, and that the bow wave might shorten if the trim is changed a bit. I forwarded that to Selwyn, so maybe he will try an adjustment.

Graham also said that, although there is plenty of research on hull finish at high speeds, no one has been able to any true testing of different hull finishes at model speed...so we don't know what is optimal.

Hi Bill,
    probably the immersed and wide bow combined with short oscillating pitching or vertical vibrations are the cause of this peculiar phenomenon.
    I went to the other picture and enlarged the bow area and there it is possible to see where probably all that begin.

I wonder about the source of vertical vibrations like something is oscillating inside the hull or outside deck like the Jib boom where the attachment is rather recessed.

It is also my understanding, nevertheless, that any form of wave production made by the boat subtract energy from sail power and by consequence from the propulsion movement and speed.

Attached some RG65 pics where these micro waves are absents.

Longitudinal trimming may cancel the phenomenon.

Data about friction coefficients are available in books (Reynolds formula), for sure physics are rather explicit about the surface finish where smooth surfaces are far better then rough one if we exclude fish skins and associated polymers generation...

ClaudioD
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RG65 3D bow.jpg‎
Views:	35
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	16222   Click image for larger version

Name:	RG65-1.jpg‎
Views:	32
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	16223   Click image for larger version

Name:	RG65-2.jpg‎
Views:	32