+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: rigging ideas

Default Re: rigging ideas

I use silicon tube 4mm ID this grips well on both 6mm and 5mm carbon tube for all my adjustments on both swing rigs and conventional rigs, I have a rigging diagram that can be down loaded from the following address:

http://modelgraphics.files.wordpress...rig-ga-new.pdf

This Diagram is for the Micro Magic but I use the same set up for my RG-65.

I have also looked at the photograph of the Emirates boat and in my opinion it is far to heavy for a boat like an RG-65, if you use wrapped carbon for the mast then it can be shroud less making the whole thing easier and lighter
    Last edited by barrie.norman1955; 09-28-2012 at 01:51 PM.

Barrie...
    I am sorting out two boats this fall, both of them share the same sail suit so it is not optimal.
    I would rather start over the next season with a better match.
    Have you started new hulls with foils and bulbs?
    Send me an PM.

Kurt

There is no need for shrouds on the RG65 if the mast stiffness is correct, I use 6 or 7mm wrapped carbon tube with 5mmOD 3mmID pultruded carbon in the bottom third of the mast to give it stiffness, John Tushingham of Graphite in the UK has had some 7mm OD 5mm ID wrapped carbon tube made although very expensive it is fantastic for Hi aspect ratio A rigs on the RG both swing and conventional with no shrouds it makes the rigging simple and it is quick to change rigs

one of the issues with going shroud less, though. your mast tube has to be dead nuts on perfect in regards to fore'/aft/port/stbd vertical alignment as well as being located properly for your CE/CLR if its off, then you've lost potential performance..

One reason I like decks stepped shrouded rigs is that you can always tweak them and much more adustability...

now that I have a milling machine and can build things "square" I may take a delrin or teflon block or hunk o luminum and give it a go... but then it means I need to modify all my current rigs to be shroud less...so i have more options in regards to rigs...

for the "yanks" Aerospace composites sells roll wrapped tubes in their online store, as does goodwinds.... I have had flawless service from both..
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

M16, going back to a comment you made in an earlier post, do NOT rig the jib to ease in a puff on your Victoria! Main maybe, jib no.

hew, yes you are quite right, my Vic loves to round up into a breeze so quickly that it is hard to control in gusty conditions.
    I think I need to make adjustments so there is less drag on the servo at windward.
    My RG65 rig for my Simpatico had some issues with the sail not being able to rotate around the mast near the shrouds.
    Things kind of bunched up. so I will be moving them to the front of the mast and see if this helps.
    My other RG "blue splash" unfortunately is a disaster,so I have something else in the pipeline.
    Stay tuned, I can't wait to see my next RG!

great rigging info in this thread, thankyou gents.

has anyone got tips for making a set of spreaders for a carbon mast? i'd like them removable if possible but struggling to come up with something without drilling the mast.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00853.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	122.0 KB
ID:	12924

How about something like this (crude drawing)
    Ideally you would want to glue the stainless steel rod into the mast, but you might
    get away with a good tight slip fit and be able pull the carbon tube spreaders and
    steel rod out of the mast. On ether end of the carbon spreader tubes glue wire loops
    or insert cotter pins as guides for your stays.
    My Vic has a pulltruded mast and a hole drilled through it for the spreaders and it has
    sailed in some strong winds with no problems.
    Last edited by M16; 01-29-2013 at 08:06 PM.

depending on what kind of boat. are you sure you need spreaders. I have had a spreaderless rig with a roll wrapped tube on a vic for many many years. to attach stuff to the mast I used to take cotter pins and "whip" them to the mast on either side and then brush in some CA to lock it all in place.

since then I just drill a hole and then fill the hole with a solid rod that extends about 1/4" on either side and then hook the shrouds to that.

you could do something like this Click image for larger version

Name:	vo_salinge_unten.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	12925 and then using the lower tangs whip them to the mast on either side... similar to the way guides are installed on fishing poles.
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

Spreaders can become a problem if you use a topping lift on your jib and things get snagged.

+ Reply to Thread