ID:	15948Click image for larger version

Name:	blu2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	352.6 KB
ID:	15943Click image for larger version

Name:	blu1.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	328.0 KB
ID:	15944Some pictures of the servo cassette and how it mounts to plate on keel trunk.

Two pins made of brass tube and one screw.
    the RX has been potted with West Systems epoxy tho this hull has never had
    issues with taking on water.
    the servo plate is made of E-glass with servos mounted very tightly so there
    is no slop
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	blu3.jpg‎
Views:	32
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	15942  
    Last edited by M16; 02-03-2017 at 12:17 PM.

Default Re: rigging ideas

Quote Originally Posted by marcsmith View Post
    I likeusing string loops to tie the sails to the mast. but I also leave about 2-3 mm gap between the luff of the main and the mast. this allows the sail to flop over from one side to the next in really light air.

boat looks good on the water... a nice moderately skinny boat that goes well in a breeze as well.

Yes, the string loops took me 2 or 3 attempts to get the gap and sail shape I was happy with.

love the servo mount....
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

Blog Entries

I likeusing string loops to tie the sails to the mast. but I also leave about 2-3 mm gap between the luff of the main and the mast. this allows the sail to flop over from one side to the next in really light air..
    No need to use spacers/gap if you to a small knot between sail and mast. See image.

boat looks good on the water... a nice moderately skinny boat that goes well in a breeze as well.
    It will take a breeze but it helps to enable for shifting the battery aft because it will nose dive.

I should note that my sail number is actually 63, the 163 on this boat is only there for when I put two boats
    in letting a friend sail my other RG "Razor" so its easier to tell them apart
    Last edited by M16; 02-01-2017 at 02:36 PM.

tarm.... th only problem with the knot method is that you still have the potential to tie the loop too tight around the mast which could prevent the sail from rotating. i take a small block 1/2"x1/2"x1/2" of wood and cut a groove, leaving a couple mm remaining. slip the groove into the luff of the sail at the hole and then tie. Move wood block to nexct spot...repeat.

the gap created by the remaining wood is your space. Easy and repeatable and it still allows the main to move freely on the mast On my victoria and RG I use a carbon rod in the luff pocket of the main to prevent and sagging of the main or getting any puckers between the tie points...
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

[QUOTE=marcsmith;72851 On my victoria and RG I use a carbon rod in the luff pocket of the main to prevent and sagging of the main or getting any puckers between the tie points...[/QUOTE]

If I understand correctly you slide a small diameter rod into the luff pocket permanently?

While I have my rigs out, I took some pics of my backstay/outhaul arrangement for my "Razor" swing rig (Cat Sails and my own rig).
    This idea I stole from the footy sailers,
    The outhaul bowsie works as a slider on the backstay adjuster (jib is set up similarly) its quite simple but hard to explain so you may
    have to zoom in on photos to see how it works.

Click image for larger version

Name:	swing1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	691.7 KB
ID:	15945Click image for larger version

Name:	swing2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	617.8 KB
ID:	15946

MI6

yes the luff pocket has the carbon rod inside of it. I can remove it if I need to. its not glued in are anything. bu I usually just put a piece of tape over the bottom of the luff pocket so the rod doesn't slip out

I have seen that method you pictured before. the only dilema with using that method is now when you adjust one setting it has the potential to cause the other setting to go out of adjustment.
    when your back stay is snug the slide works. but if you back stay is loose, then the slider for your outhaul doesn't do anything... and you've lost control over that aspect of your sail shape.
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

Click image for larger version

Name:	swing3.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	530.1 KB
ID:	15949
    MI6

I have seen that method you pictured before. the only dilema with using that method is now when you adjust one setting it has the potential to cause the other setting to go out of adjustment.
    when your back stay is snug the slide works. but if you back stay is loose, then the slider for your outhaul doesn't do anything... and you've lost control over that aspect of your sail shape.

Thats true if it was a classic rig but this is a swing rig so if the backstay is loose it would slacken the whole jib.
    There is always a need for some backstay tension. Tightening it more has no effect on the outhaul because of the loop above
    the backstay bowsie , it does work perfectly and the same sort of arrangement on the jib and using the slider to adjust the
    gap (see picture)makes rigging simpler and less weight . take a closer look at the pictures it might not be the same as you have seen before.
    Last edited by M16; 02-03-2017 at 12:20 PM.

+ Reply to Thread