+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3d printing.

Default 3d printing.

Anybody out there familiar with 3d printing technology and CAD software. I have been following this technology, right now there is a practical application with it to make fittings. There are printers that could do entire 1meter hulls but they are very pricey still > 10K. But for say 500 you can get a 3d printer and make fittings out of ABS.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there considering such a venture?

Default Re: 3d printing.

I've been looking at this for about 2 years now... Not for hulls, but split moulds for fins and rudders.

"shapeways" offer a total online service...

I am not sure how their materials would cope with the curing temperatures I had in mind..

Jim
    "Where ever you are going... Never take an Idiot with you, as you can always find one when you get there."

I use SLA and DLP daily to print parts from Cad data. If the parts can be made from plastic and be strong enough, it is a possibility. There are several places that will do LS Nylon parts. Just send them a SLA file and some $$. You should have your parts back in 2 to 3 days. I usually use the SLA to verify the shape and fit before going to production and not use it as the end product.
    Jfisher
    Star 45 national champ 09,10 Star # 842
    Julie Ayers Winner 08
    10R national champ 07 10R #12
    RG-65 #577
    M #3718

I have just checked back on the shapeways site.. They have a couple of interesting new materials you can print in.
    For my application, the ceramic option is great. It has a high gloss finish, and is heat resistant to 500c!
    Unfortunately the maximum printable dimensions rule out a fin or hull mould, but its perfect for a split rudder mould and is cheap too.
    To the other end of the scale, they offer a stainless/bronze hybrid. It is 8g cm3 which is almost enough for a bulb!
    (Or you could print fittings in it as well.)
    I'm sure there will be further materials in the future.

Jim
    "Where ever you are going... Never take an Idiot with you, as you can always find one when you get there."

Jim coudl you make the fin mold in 4 peices, rather than just two and make some sort of high temp "centering device" to keep the molds aligned ????

or once you receive the 4 separate pieces. align the two bottom halves together and then epoxt/bolt, ect together to make one peice... and then do the same for the top??? I know not ideal... but if the price was right....
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

+ Reply to Thread