+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Log: Albacore

Default Build Log: Albacore

Ok....I started asking a few questions about hull building and I actually made some promising headway...

SO I will move forward with a build log of a scratch built boat that will fall with-in the RG65 class rules. Since this is an untested hull design on this small of a boat I have no idea if its going to be a fast boat. It is a planing hull design, but in full scale it has movable ballast(crew)

The hull I am choosing is an untested and never built in the model RC world. I am choosing the venerable two person Dinghy the Albacore. many years ago I owned one and sailed and occasionally raced. I have since sold the albacore. Several years ago I acquired the hull measurement numbers for the albacore and plugged them into freeship and got a hull. I attempted to make one for the footy class, but was never satisfied with the way it looked. so it never even hit the water.

So I dusted off the program copied it into to autocad and shrunk it down from 14 feet to 65cm...

my plan is to make a foam male plug. Id like to make 2 hulls. one will be fiberglass or carbon or kevlar. and the other would be in wood....Not sure if the foam plug will hold up to two boats...

Id like to go with the traditional sloop rig, but since we are limited to 2 channels I wont' be able to have an overlapping jib.

I am torn as I'd like to have and open transom from the more modern dinghies, but I like the transom and the transom hung rudder to be more in line with the "look" of the albacore.

So I think my first hull will be the more modern open transom, and the second wood hull(if I build it) would be scale with transom hung rudder, which means that the hull would have to be shortened to fall within the rg65 rules..

the Open transom is still a pipe dream. A more standard solid one peice deck with hatch openings is much easier...So we'll see.

I have cut the foam stations bonded them together together and sanded the plug to the basic shape.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7347.JPG‎
Views:	272
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	8839   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7349.JPG‎
Views:	251
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	8840   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7348.JPG‎
Views:	241
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	8841   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7352.JPG‎
Views:	232
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	8842   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7354.JPG‎
Views:	223
Size:	29.9 KB
ID:	8843  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7342.JPG‎
Views:	265
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	8844  
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

Default Re: Build Log: Albacore

http://www.defender.com/category.jsp...&sort=products

looking at going with 6, 4 and 2 ounce glass...while Id like to go exotic with Carbon or kevlar no point in wasting money if I screw up...
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

also ordered some tapered spars from goodwinds......
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

Blog Entries

I think you'll have problems making the transom hung rudder version conform to class rules. The hull length has to be 65 cm +/- 0.5 cm and the rudder must not extend aft of the transom.
    Apsara ESP-67

Yeah martin I read some more...into the rules and though that....

actually the rule read that the overall length of the boat cannot exceed 65 the length rule makes no mention of the hull....and the second rule is that the rudder rmust not extend beyond the hull. but the apendix diagrams do show pretty specific. so if I do build a wooden albacore, it will be scale with the rudder but won't be rg class legal..

Well I got the cloth from defender yesterday...

after putting the shrink wrap on the hull I found some areas that did not look symmetrical...so I took the wrap off and did some more minor sanding.

I should be able to lay up the hull tonight I got a hot knife through micheals craft store... mildly impressed with it function but for 13 bucks after coupon, I don't expect it to last....

on a whim I started cutting foam for a blue splash as well...
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

BlueSplash?
    Welcome to the dark side Marc!
    Eric Rosenbaum
    IOM, RG65, MM, Seawind, Vic

Marc you can use my BS plug if you want. since he left your delta rig off the list. :-)

Craig,

Marc was busy with directing the Nats - he is not one of the 70 who replied to my survey.
    Eric Rosenbaum
    IOM, RG65, MM, Seawind, Vic

Craig, let me lay this one up this weekend along with the albacore, and I'll bring the finished product by one day for lunch and we can compare. and see how good I did...

Went sailing tonight with the bathtub, I mean soling, did alright walter was there so I could at least compare speed..
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

laid up three layers tonight.... west 206....so I guess we'll see how it turns out in 10 hours.. took 3 pumps of the epoxy...hopefully I didn't go too light, everything was wet and I used a rubber spatula to smooth and spread it around.
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

+ Reply to Thread