+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Ranger plans and pics

Default Re: Ranger plans and pics

Ah thanks Bill, I had wondered about that. Do you think I might get away with 1/32 (I have a nice piece already) or will it just be too heavy? I'm not interested in racing speed or anything, but am concerned it floats properly! If not I'll go and get some balsa, as I never seem to see much 1/64 ply.

Thanks,

Stu

It will work, Stu, but try to keep the weight of all other components minimized or you will have to take too much off the bulb. Ranger is designed as a light boat, so there isn't as much wiggle room as there would be in a 500 gram design.

btw, Scott Wallis made a nice Ranger out of Depron. You might talk to him about it.
    Last edited by mudhenk27; 11-18-2013 at 09:31 AM. Reason: add depron thought

Quote Originally Posted by mudhenk27 View Post
    Stu, 1/32 ply is way overkill for a Footy. I use 1/64 ply on most of my hulls, or sometimes 1/16 balsa. 1/64 ply is the easiest to use...very flexible, cut with scissors, no beveling of edges needed. You will be surprised how rigid a Footy hull turns out to be, even without internal bulkheads.

Bill
    Bill,
    New prospective Footy builder here. I use 1/64 a fair amount on my model airplanes. Depending on use, I try to orient the grain of the external ply appropriately. I would like to know if your practice is to orient the fore-aft direction of the side pieces at a bias to the external grain direction. Any insight into what you've learned about grain orientation would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Jim Howell

Use it the same way you would build an airplane fuselage out of balsa.
    Have fun
    Sven

Jim, I'm sure that is good practice. Given the cost of 1/64 ply these days, I orient the panels to get the most out of a sheet of material :-)

Haven't noticed any issues.

Bill

Hi All,

After very slow progress my boat is coming along. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for (UK-available) paints for sealing and finishing; ideally something clear to leave the wood visible, but I'll need a colour for covering the glass-fibred fin and rudder. I'd appreciate advice before purchasing and ending up with a product that's no good in the water.

Cheers,

Stu

+ Reply to Thread