+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ranger plans and pics

Default Re: Ranger plans and pics

Bill, to each his own! But you have to admit the ultra long mast tube is not a very elegant solution.

I believe that Roger uses a jig for three reasons mainly. The first is that his build medium is corrugated plastic sheet which doesn't bend all that readily and can't be encouraged to be more flexible by soaking in Formula 409 like the balsa panels for your Razor design. The second is that his designs are broad, heavy weights (in comparison to the trend you and Angus abetted) and it is my observation that wider hulls are harder to keep true so a jig comes in handy to control the panels while putting them under tension. The third reason is repeatability. Most of the folks that build your "simple-to-construct" designs only build one or two at most. Roger builds a whole fleet of each of his designs to get them into lots of hands as a test bed so having a jig helps simplify production.

Anyway, I think the Ranger looks good. I imagine I'll get a chance to go up against her with Scott at the helm later this Spring at Eisenhower. I've got to finish my new designs first though. There just is never enough time these days!

Bill,

Thanks for the measurement... i dont know what legal paper is ?? so i cheated and printed 100% unscaled on A3.
    . I attach photos of my build so far, just closed up the deck.
    Will seal the hull with WBPU and tissue tommorrow.
    You will notice i put 2 mast tubes in, mainly coz i wanted to try my Razor 3 rigs, which seem to carry their CE nearer the mast, then the rig you propose. Anyway, its only 1g extra :-)

Well, i may soon offer you some competition evidence of the Ranger, as i intend to take it to wicksteed park this comming weekend for its first sail..

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0194.jpg‎
Views:	568
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	7613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image0193.jpg‎
Views:	587
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	7614  

Sorry Scott...I didn't see that you are from the UK. Incompatiblity of paper-size standards is a problem. I'll try to figure out how to make the PDF print successfully on both legal and A3, and see if I can at least give scaling advise that's more useful.

Your Ranger looks good....good luck and keep us posted!

One potential problem...If they measure your boat in the box, I don't think your rig will clear the top of the box. I used an extension made from brass tube to solve the problem on mine, and it's why the rig dimensions I gave have such a long extension going into the mast tube.

Cheers....Bill

Hi Bill,

I managed to get it to print to scale, by selecting original as 'legal' and then printing it using the scale @ 100% button onto A3,
    A little wastefull, as lots of free bits round the edge.

Thanks :-) i've just given it the first coat of WBPU and tissue, especially on the seams helps to stop the UHU por releasing in strong weather.

I am aware of the height requirement, i unfortunately don't have a box of my own. However, i had already forseen that, and have carbon spacers, cut over lengthv (i will trim them to the min when i get to the event on saturday- probably over lunch, as i'll be racing my Razor 3 in the event) Hopefully that way i can get some input from he other footy sailors there as to how its performing. (maybe even a quick unscheduled race)

Can i just ask for a couple of specs from you?
    What was your ballast weight (total of 300gm displacement quoted, and i'd like to know how good a ballast ratio you ended up with)
    Also given the fin shape, it looks like the bulb glues on striaht underneath (bottom of fin is concave, to match bulb shape?)
    How carefull do i need to be with bulb length? as that will obviously move it up in the box, unless the bulb is trimmed nose down

Many thanks
    Scott

Hey Scott,

The keel bulb on a Footy is usually canted nose up a several degrees to compensate for the slightly bow down attitude that Footies assume when under way. I have been going with about 2 but I've seen boats with more cant. I don't think that there is a magic number so maybe Bill can give you an idea of the Ranger's normal sailing bow depression. I get the feeling from the photos that Bill has posted that the Ranger has less bow depression than his Razor series which have sharper entries and wider bodies.

Scott, the boat ready-to-sail without rig came to 312g (missed my target by a bit.) Servos/receiver/batteries were 62g. My rigs are about 25g. I think the bulb was 210g.

I suggest canting the bulb up 2-3 degrees as Niel does...don't cant it nose down, as that will create more drag.

As you surmise, using a longer bulb means the boat will sit too high in the box unless you shorten the fin...borrow a box from someone if you have to, in order to figure out the proper length.

Bill

Bill, Neil
    thanks for the advice.
    Unfortunately i do not have a box of my own, but used the one at the race yesterday to see how well it fits.
    Looks like i glued the bulb on too low (canted correctly though), (and my foam bow block was a little to big, as it was over the top of the box )

So i took measurements to correct it, and have done that this morning, so it should now fit in the box happily.

Thanks for the weights, that is about where i am at too. though i managed to scrape mine in at just under 295g without rig (again 20-25ish grams) with 200g ballast.

I came 4th in the event yesterday (sailing a razor 3), behind a Stollery ICE, IAMBUS, and a design i am unsure of, but with a very wide bow...
    So i am happy. i could have gone a bit better if i'd had a rig in between the 2 i have, but thats always the way (isn't it?)
    and if my rig, had been setting better (i had a couple of creaes, and too much twist, as my lower main was stalling)

Did manage to get the ranger out at lunch (after a bit of sanding of the bow block (now nearer to the one you designed...) with the not ideal rigs from the razor 3. I had a bit of a sail against IAMBUS, and was showing good turn of speed for a first sail.
    It was tracking hands off, but wouldn't get it to point very well (blaming the rig, coz my razor seemed the same)

Anyway, got a couple of photos on the water, note its not moving much, coz i hadn't sheeted in...

Scott
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030150 S.jpg‎
Views:	462
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	7642   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030148 S.jpg‎
Views:	380
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	7643   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030146 S.jpg‎
Views:	478
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	7644   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030149 S.jpg‎
Views:	553
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	7645   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030147 S.jpg‎
Views:	355
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	7646  

Nice job, Scott...get your rigs tuned up, and both boats will point really well...so you can beat that ICE

Glad you are enjoying Footy racing.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I've been competing with my razor 3 in 2 races here in Florida. Astonisshing first one I finished 6/12 and the second one 5/10 (i think it was out of 10 ... lol) Anyway, the next saturday I went to my Daytona Beac MYC club and one of the fellows came with the AMYA magazine, screaming outlaoud: this is the one, this is the boat for you!! Anyway, just thought it was funny how I was handed the Ranger plans. Well, needless to say, my dasd in law and I are building two at the same time. Next race is March 26th at Vero Beach, fl and we intend to "kick some H2O" over there! One of my concerns is the shape of the sail winch arm, is there any specifics on shape and dimentions? Also, I've been trying to look around the tackle shops around here for a 8oz trolling sinker with no luck, so I kind of made our own weeights but they are a bit too long I think. Do you have the length measurement for your bulb?
    Right now we are at a stage that we are almost ready to close the deck, glue the bulb and make the sails. We also have to water proof it overall. I was thinking of using the testors enamel spray paint directly onto the wood, but some trials in scrap balsa wood showed too much poruosity. Any suggestions in this matter?
    As always, thanks for your unvaluable help!

Enrico

Hi Enrico,

You guys sure got into building boats!

Try Cabellas for the bulb, if you aren't happy with yours. My bulb is 4" long. If you use a longer one, you'll have to shorten the fin so the boat still fits in the box. You should test fit in the box, anyway, since you are serious about competition.

I typically use Krylon paints, but have used Testor's, too. The porosity isn't typically a problem...2 coats should make it watertight. If you don't like the look of the grain showing, then you'll have to start with sandable primer, perhaps using Spackle first to fill the grain. I don't bother, because it adds weight...and you can't see the grain when it's on the water anyway

Having 2 Razors and 2 Rangers will give you a good chance to do some comparative sailing. I think you may find that Ranger has the edge going downwind, but let us know what you discover. Also remember that rig tuning is critical to max performance...if you don't have them, put telltales on your sails and make small adjustments until you find the sweet spot.

Bill
    Last edited by mudhenk27; 03-18-2011 at 12:00 PM.

+ Reply to Thread