Name:	Ranger 013.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	7586Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranger 008.jpg
Views:	863
Size:	2.23 MB
ID:	7587

For those interested in building Ranger, the best source is my article in ModelYachting magazine. It includes a lot of build pics and very nice drawings done by Jim Linville from my rough originals. The magazine has been distributed to AMYA members, and is available for others from the Ship's Store at theamya.org.

Given the difficulty of international mailing, etc., I am posting my originals as requested for those who can't get the magazine. They aren't as pretty, but they are what I build from. Designed displacement is 300 grams. I hope you enjoy the boat.

Bill
    Attached Files Attached Files

Default Re: Ranger plans and pics

Hi Bill,

Thanks for sharing your designs again.
    It looks interesting.

Regards
    Peter & Clare

Another great design Bill thanks !

One question, what is the reason for the strong rocker and curved sheer if i may ask ?

Bill,

Have down loaded and printed the plans at 100% scale.

Can you tell me the overall length of the Ranger, as my plans look too big :-(

I like the design, simple, and looks extremely well balanced.

Looking forward to trying a depron hull for this one too.

Scott

Hi Bill,

Forgot to ask.
    What is the initial anecdotal or empirical conclusion regarding performance?
    Is it faster than your previous designs?
    Is it faster to windward?
    Does it point as high?
    Is it as fast downwind?
    Is it faster in all conditions, light and heavy?
    How much does it like to submarine?
    Is the submarining exacerbated by the high position of the sail?
    Are there any other positive or negative effects of the sail position?

Regards
    Peter & Clare

Sorry Scott...I didn't see that you are from the UK. Incompatiblity of paper-size standards is a problem. I'll try to figure out how to make the PDF print successfully on both legal and A3, and see if I can at least give scaling advise that's more useful.

Your Ranger looks good....good luck and keep us posted!

One potential problem...If they measure your boat in the box, I don't think your rig will clear the top of the box. I used an extension made from brass tube to solve the problem on mine, and it's why the rig dimensions I gave have such a long extension going into the mast tube.

Cheers....Bill

Hi Bill,

I managed to get it to print to scale, by selecting original as 'legal' and then printing it using the scale @ 100% button onto A3,
    A little wastefull, as lots of free bits round the edge.

Thanks :-) i've just given it the first coat of WBPU and tissue, especially on the seams helps to stop the UHU por releasing in strong weather.

I am aware of the height requirement, i unfortunately don't have a box of my own. However, i had already forseen that, and have carbon spacers, cut over lengthv (i will trim them to the min when i get to the event on saturday- probably over lunch, as i'll be racing my Razor 3 in the event) Hopefully that way i can get some input from he other footy sailors there as to how its performing. (maybe even a quick unscheduled race)

Can i just ask for a couple of specs from you?
    What was your ballast weight (total of 300gm displacement quoted, and i'd like to know how good a ballast ratio you ended up with)
    Also given the fin shape, it looks like the bulb glues on striaht underneath (bottom of fin is concave, to match bulb shape?)
    How carefull do i need to be with bulb length? as that will obviously move it up in the box, unless the bulb is trimmed nose down

Many thanks
    Scott

Hey Scott,

The keel bulb on a Footy is usually canted nose up a several degrees to compensate for the slightly bow down attitude that Footies assume when under way. I have been going with about 2 but I've seen boats with more cant. I don't think that there is a magic number so maybe Bill can give you an idea of the Ranger's normal sailing bow depression. I get the feeling from the photos that Bill has posted that the Ranger has less bow depression than his Razor series which have sharper entries and wider bodies.

Lots of questions...but here goes.

Meatbomber, the rocker is to add displacement to the narrow boat (wide/shallow, narrow/deep) while keeping the ends up for better tacking...submerging the bow and stern seems to make it resist turning, as you might expect. With Footys, you have to accept that they are unlikely to be the most graceful looking boats...for that, build a 10R '-) The sheer is to raise the bow height for reserve bouyancy because Footys like to dive going downwind...also because I think sheer is prettier.

Scott, if you printed on legal paper at 100% it should be fine...the leading edge of the fin should be 230mm.

Peter/Clare:

Performance looks good overall, but it hasn't been tested in real competition.

Probably not faster overall, but maybe in light airs...I think we have seen that the speed limitation of Footys is their size, and many designs appear to be equally competitive...but I keep looking for the best combination of the myriad design tradeoffs.

It points beautifully, and sails hands-off upwind even in chop like the pics...Scott Spacie took them while sailing in pretty strong wind.

It doesn't submarine at all (LOL) except in big gusts...actually I'm quite happy that the reserve bouyancy in the bow does it's job pretty well. The price is more bow wave than I like under certain conditions...I'll be working on that. See attached "outtake" pics. Submarining does not appear to be exascerbated by the high rig.

Here's some comments from Scott: "Bill, This morning, at 2:24, I had an ‘aha’ moment (actually it was more of a ‘duh’ moment). I figured out what caused the handling problems I had had yesterday and how I should have rigged the boat to prevent it. It caused me to reflect on what a great job the Ranger really had done. A lot of the time when I was fumbling with the camera, the boat was sailing ‘hands off’ in as bad a chop as I have ever seen at Heckscher. At the same time, ten miles south, on a smaller, more protected pond, the wind was literally shredding a fleet of Victorias – including the #4 boat at the nationals! As you noticed in the pictures, the bow worked exactly as it was designed to do. The boat never submarined or did the Razor 7 (both of them) trick of sailing happily with solid water back past the mast. I still have no idea of relative speed as I can’t find another skipper to sail against. Orangeburg never thawed, the guys down south had gone home when I got there, and we are back in a cold snap that is too much for me, so that question will go unanswered for a while yet. The red-trimmed rig you saw in the pictures is the B2 one we talked about after the nationals last year. It is half way between the B and the C and was just perfect for winds that gusted in the high 20’s."

The pros/cons of the high rig are undetermined, so far. Some argument has been made that it might actually improve lift downwind...but I'm not ready to to stake any claims. I did it to clear the box...no other reason.

One of the brilliant things about the box rule is that there's no free lunch. To increase LWL, you give up fin depth and raise the rig which reduces righting moment...classic tradeoffs. When Roger proposed the box dimensions, I think he got it just right...enough room to play, but ya gotta pay.

Bill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranger Footy 006.jpg‎
Views:	1091
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	7594   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranger 024.jpg‎
Views:	1171
Size:	2.01 MB
ID:	7595  
    Last edited by mudhenk27; 03-05-2011 at 10:01 AM. Reason: add pics

dont get me wrong Bill i think it`s an awesome design and your reasoning behind it makes all sense now that you explained, thanks for that
    as soon as i`m home i`ll build one of these too

Oh and i think too that sheer is pretty, the sloping transom also looks great!
    i`ll have to see if i can make a 55% one too, with the servos out on top it should work

cheers
    Phillip

+ Reply to Thread