+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to build a UnaRig

Default How to build a UnaRig

I should be very grateful to receive some guidance on how to go about building a UnaRig (hope that's the correct term).
    I have learned that small dia carbon tubes linked with a wire torsion bar forms the main frame and mast stub, but exactly what sizes are recommended and what method is used to fix all the parts together?
    I've been building swing rigs for my RG65's and was thinking the swing rig may be the way to go with my Footy (hull nearing completion). However, my recent visit to this forum and the Footy web site indicates UnaRigs seem to be most prevalent on racing Footys. Is this correct?
    Thanks in advance for your advice
    Phil

Default Re: How to build a UnaRig

I'm interested in this, too. The boats with the UnaRig were way faster than the other rigs at the regatta at the WoodenBoat Show last summer.

Blog Entries

http://www.rcsailing.net/forum1/show...ht=equilibrium was a long thread dealing with one type of una rig, which is especially popular on footies.
    Apsara ESP-67

This adress may suggest some new trends on sailing Rigs. http://www.transitionrig.com/rigs.htm

My Delta Rig discussed in the 'new classes' is one interpretation.

Cheers
    Claudio

Phil,
    As Claudio's reference above points out, the term 'una rig' covers a wide variety of sail plans - basically anything that has one mast and one sail. A better term might be 'McCormack Rig' (or 'McRig' for short) in honor of Brett McCormack who popularized it for use with Footys.

The difference is that on the McRigs, the mast is 30 or so percent of the boom length back from the tack. This makes the boats handle better downwind and takes some of the load off the sheet upwind so a smaller servo can be used. Contact me separately and I'll bore you silly about the effects of ultra low Reynolds Numbers as they apply to Footys and why they are more efficient than swing rigs.

The best reference would be to contact the AMYA (www.theamya.org) and get a copy of issue 152 (the Footy issue) of Model Yachting. In the meantime, check out "Huntington Footys" on the PHOTO section of the Yahoo Footy site for shots of the rigs that finished 1,2, and 3 at the Region 1 Regionals as well as 1 and 3 at the Nationals and did so well at the Wooden Boat Show at Mystic.
    Regards,
    Scott

And while you're there, download the 507 Una rig pdf - its the only published plan of how to make a McCormack, albeit an old-rules B rig.
    Rusty
    George Little: Maybe we should go home.
    Mr. Little: Why?
    George Little: I'm not wearing my lucky underwear.
    Mr. Little: You don't have lucky underwear.
    George Little: Well, maybe we should get some, and then come back for another race.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Nail View Post
    And while you're there, download the 507 Una rig pdf - its the only published plan of how to make a McCormack, albeit an old-rules B rig.
    To ScottS: Please present your exposition of the effects of low Reynolds numbers on Footy rigs in this Forum---I am sure that there are quite a number of us who are both interested and are always seeking further enlightenment. I have been doing some design work on non-diving Footy hulls, but would be more than pleased to see anything you can contribute to the rig portion of Footy design and practice.

We have been meaning to make a post on the Aspect Ratio thread for sometime but just haven't had time. So this is just the quick details of our current medium rig not a discussion about the rationale behind its design. We hope that this helps making your rig. We're not sure if it will scale to a RG65. The sail has 5% camber at the top a bottom and 8% in the middle. There is 25% twist. Cut out the panels and stick them together with double sided tape. We use a luff pocket but from the pics on the forum many of the top boats seem to just use loops on the luff to the mast.

Regards
    Peter & Clare
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Medium 02.JPG‎
Views:	542
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	4809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Medium 05.JPG‎
Views:	674
Size:	234.3 KB
ID:	4810   Click image for larger version

Name:	Medium 01.JPG‎
Views:	695
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	4811   Click image for larger version

Name:	Medium 03.JPG‎
Views:	583
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	4812  
    Attached Files Attached Files

It may be of any help ?

http://romyrig.com/marble/marble.htm

cheers
    Claudio

Thank you, all contributors to this thread for the very helpful advice provided and I now realise this thread should have been titled:

'HOW TO BUILD A McRIG', giving due credit to Brett

My McRig questions have been answered and I simply need to go and experiment. However, one of Brett's comments is now making me ask a slightly 'off thread', but very much related question:

HOW DO YOU WORK OUT WHERE TO POSITION THE FIN ?

Thanks in advance, again !
    Phil

+ Reply to Thread