Thread: Delta rig

Default Re: Delta rig

Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

well I made a new jib and moved it further forward lostteh weather helm ... Good strong boat in light air.
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

Well the round ranger has been scrapped, and I'm working on a pakinto "Two Face" which is being built as a sloop, and as a delta rig on the same deck...

I really feel the benefits of the delta rig in light air are not to be ignored. but I also realize that once the wind picks up, switching to a conventional rig that is easier to detune may be a good option.
    the sticky wicket is getting the jib club to clear the foredeck of the pakinto...so wee shall see...
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

pic of Two Face with a delta rig
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8533.JPG‎
Views:	209
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	11412  
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

Quote Originally Posted by claudio View Post
    Is any one interested to this type of project ?

There is no name yet to define this type of Rig, Gary Hoyt called Delta Rig, Phil Bolger Staysail, other called simply Cat. The problem is that the mast is positioned at the end of the Hull close to the Stern.
    Only one single sail acting as a big jib. No main and no mast disturbing the air flows to the main !

Little history :
    The first boat with this type of rig was constructed in 1992 by Nicolas Montgomery in Florida. Was an expensive prototype because of the technology limitations, it was difficult to build a mast capable to maintain a very stiff forestay. The boat structure presented some difficulties to. In spite of that proved to be very fast and easy to sail.
    In the Phil Bolger book “Boat with an Open Mind” retrace the full story.

Later in 1984 the CorSair 24 was developed. Was also easy to sail and very fast under strong winds.
    In 1994, Gary Hoyt wrote an article on Sailing World dedicate to the Cyclone of Mr. Simmons from California.
    So far I knows one of the most active Yards designing Delta Rigs is :
    http://www.runningtideyachts.com/monohull/ of Brian Eiland.

More about various project : http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boa...ig-1999-3.html

Some pictures here below of real boat using the Delta Rig configuration :

In 2003 I was attracted by the Staysail design proposed by Ph. Bolger in his book mentioned above, and I decided to develop a sailing model called CD-CAT based upon a simple class M hull. The results obtained were very good, very fast model, no nose down observed, fast reaction and very good accelerations. One defect observed, the jib is behaving as a wing and as such is sensitive to the wind incidence, outside certain limits the stalling condition occurs. The range for better performances is reduced to 5-6. Not easy to control when the boat is 150 meters far away. Good training is needed.

Claudio
    Hello Claudio,
    I'm the Brian Eiland of RunningTideYachts,...with that crazy aft-mast, mast-aft, what ever we call it rig design. I like to refer to mine as a 'single-masted ketch. I've promoted that rig for many years,...on again, off again as I had time for it in between running a few businesses. I'm now retired, and just recently dug an old model of that vessel out of storage for display in my new 'florida room' It got me excited once again to prove to a lot of the naysayers that this rig will work,....and very well!

Not having the money to build a full size version, or even a half size version I will have to limit myself to a model testing. Here is a new subject thread I started just recently on another forum where I had posting a long running subject thread on the aftmast rig
    Model Tests: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sai...ors-52977.html

Aft Mast Rig: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sai...html#post23390

Origination & Justification: http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/sai...tml#post198605

Would you be interested in helping me bring this rig to life,...in any manner you might care to help?

PS: Haven't had time to read thru this subject thread yet, and may not for several days as I have some pending outdoor work to do on new residence here in Florida, but if anyone else is interested I'm open to all suggestions, hints, etc
    Last edited by brian eiland; 05-01-2015 at 11:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brian eiland View Post
    Hello Claudio,................

...........Would you be interested in helping me bring this rig to life,...in any manner you might care to help?

PS: Haven't had time to read thru this subject thread yet, and may not for several days as I have some pending outdoor work to do on new residence here in Florida, but if anyone else is interested I'm open to all suggestions, hints, etc
    Hi Brian,
    Why not !
    You remember, some years ago you wrote to me about the Staysail project.
    At that time I did the CD-Cat and later an RG65 based on the same design.
    Marc Smith and me we were invited by Model Yachting to write an article on the subject.
    Since due to lack of interest demonstrated in various forums, nothing more was done from my side.
    I remember that one French guy wrote : "...if this configuration is not visible in the harbors is because doesn't work ...
    If a next construction will be done, I would try to use a "dual Jib", but this event is not yet in my agenda.
    Cheers
    Claudio

+ Reply to Thread