+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: pump for bailing bilge water

Default Re: pump for bailing bilge water

tomo.

I use the tapered silicon plug on my Victoria. I have a wire through it with the wide part of the plug inboard. Such that all I have to do is push the plug in tilt the boat drain the water and then a quick tug on the wire and the plug seats itself again.

on my two IOMs i drilled a small hole in the transom mid way up well above the water line Which as you mentioned makes accessing the rudder post screws much easier. since the hole is so high you don't need to seal it with tape.

As mentioned above the old school water gun plugs are a popular idea as well

Honestly I would not overthink this. Sometimes the simplest method is the most elegant and best

the picture of the plug by itself is next to a sails ect large bowsie. so you get an idea of the size...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2900.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	15784Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2897.JPG
Views:	22
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	15785Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2896.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	15786Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2895.JPG
Views:	19
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	15787Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2894.JPG
Views:	20
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	15788
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

That's probably what I'll do: Drill a hole and put a plug in it. I'll borrow a plug from an old water gun

Even a bit of a sponge would work: you just squeeze it & roll it a bit, then stick it in the hole. Then you lose it the second time you take it out There shouldn't be much getting in because it's above the water line, and even if you use a bit of sponge, you'd only get a drop or two from some water weeping through. I should've noticed that tip long ago, so it'll save time taping on that lazarette.

I have to overbuild things. The simplest things will fail on my boat, even if somebody else builds it. I use 120 LBs wire for stays because the 10 LB. stuff breaks on the second race.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 10-03-2016 at 10:02 AM.
    Sail honest.
    Rock music.

the silicone plug is from sails ect or midwest model yachts

find a dollar store. and buy a few water guns and keep a few in your tool box. and when you need to distract someone you just give them a squirt
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

Default Re: A Convenient Transom Drain Plug

The silicone plug should be easily made- I probably have some stuck to the workbench! The water guns are scarce this time of the year, but I can always dig into the box of toys. I'll see about adding a squirter button to my transmitter.
    Sail honest.
    Rock music.

Geez, go to the hardware store and get a turkey baster. While there buy some vinyl tubing with diameter to fit end of baster. Press on, cut to a length that will reach your bilge. Squeeze bulb, put tube end in water, let go of bulb, remove tube, squeeze bulb to empty water from turkey baster. Repeat as necessary.

Hi Marc,

Just a small point of caution with the tapered silicon plugs in stern of your IOM's, be careful the plug does not extend the hulls legal LOA over one metre, otherwise it is not class legal....l got done with this one on my IOM's

Cheers Alan
    You can only create, what you can imagine

Alan. I do not use a plug on my iom or my Rg65 for that very reason. With the vertical transom and hole well above the waterline, I'm not worried about water intrusion. In a pinch I could place a piece of electrical tape over the hole if it was a particularly rfought day.

The Victoria on the other hand. I use the plug As it's a pretty wet boat....
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

I seem to be out of stock regarding the water pistols, and so are the stores, at this time of the year. Is there any alternative? I was thinking of some kind of snap-cap, like you get on a toothpaste tube, but the hole is small. Right now, I drilled a hole, and since I don't have a squirtgun, I used an earplug to seal the hole with a paperclip on the end of a piece of line to keep the plug from getting lost.

Is there something in the super-store that would have a hole about 8mm? It needs to be very shallow or flat, so it doesn't stick out- it is a model boat. The idea is like this, but I'd enlarge the hole:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	3.8 KB
ID:	15830
    Sail honest.
    Rock music.

+ Reply to Thread