+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pump for bailing bilge water

Hybrid View

Default pump for bailing bilge water

In addition to checking to see WHY your 1M boat takes on water when sailing, is there any neat way to remove bilge water without removing your deck patch? Re-taping the radio cover takes time and you may only have a minute between heats.

What about some kind of thumb-operated pump, like a priming bulb on a small engine, or a small hand-cranked pump? It would need to be relatively small.

An old method I once saw was a vertical tube in the stern to let the water out. The tube was plugged for sailing.

thx
    Sail honest.
    Rock music.

Default Re: pump for bailing bilge water

may or may not apply...but on on many Victorias I see guys using the caps that are on toy water guns. you know it looks like a small cup with a "T" on the bottom... pick boat up. remove cap. tilt boat. water drains. push cap back in put boat in sail on...

I use the silicone plug sold by midwest..on my vic and odom
    http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/images/146.jpg

i thread a small length of line through the center of the plug (1x7) coated cable or needle and spider wire and secure one end to the boat I have the plug situated that I have to push the plug in to release it to drain the water. this way the plug cannot be pulled out by contact with another boat.

I have the hole located high on the transom near the deck such that lifting the boat out of the water, and while lifting the bow up healing the boat over 90* will result in water draining. It may not get all the water out, but whats is left (a couple teaspoons worth) is not enough to raise any concern sloshing around int he bottom of the hull...

I think on large boats like, the ec12, the turkey baster or syringes are the method of choice...
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

Visit your local "TRAIN" hobby shop and take a look at the small, battery powered "pump" that some of the railroad guys use to move water through streams on their train layout.

The one I saw was about the size in diameter of a pencil, and perhaps 1.5 inches long. It hooked up to the train layout power, but was DC current. Not sure if it would work as part of the r/c equipment - and also not sure it would work without continuous water moving through it. A pick-up tube, the in-line pump and anexhaust tube through the stern.

That's the best I can do - you are on your own to determine if it will work or is viable.

we have the makings of a "jet boat"...
    Marc

S1M 1981
    Victoria 81
    RG65 181
    IOM 81, 681, 881

I use a plug like Marc in both my Victoria and my IOM's. I thread a 12" length of elastic into it from the bottom and tie it inside the boat by the fin trunk. I can tip the boat nose up and on it's side, pull the plug to drain, and when I release, it gets pulled back into the hole. The hole is inside the cockpit right at the stern, up near one rail.

Hi:
    Thanks to my over 20 years building and flying RC airplanes I had the chance to talk oftenly with Quique Somenzini, world champion in RCaerobatics. Once I asked why he uses a hand gas pump to fill the gas tank in the airplane ( a laser 200 with a twin 80cc engine) directly through a very miserable fuel line closed by a chopped nail when there where very nice gas valves in the market.

The answers was as simple as logic. "what is not on the plane does not fail".
    So..what is not on your boat will not fail!. I think the water pupm from model trains pumps very little ammount of water. I will suggest to stick to the silicone bung that you can lace at the transom or at the front deck in your hull to drain any ammount of water within a minute. Also it will not fail.

But...if you like gizmos...check this, i use it in my 52" gas boat.
    http://9x4br.64n2f.servertrust.com/P...ductCode=A7030

It will drain your hull while you are sailing!

Hope to be useful.

Tato Lazo

T

+ Reply to Thread