+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Semiscale Footy Catboat

Hybrid View

Default Semiscale Footy Catboat

Would this gaff-rigged catboat make a decent sailing footy?

Since I know nothing about designing boats, I figured starting with this little 19' catboat might help, especially since it's got the look I want. Would following the scale sailplan yield a reasonable model, or do I need to make adjustments? The changes I'm assuming I'll need are :

1) add keel and bulb
    2) lengthen/deepen rudder

Are there others you guys would suggest? Should I scrap the semi-scale idea entirely and go with one of the footy plans (not my preference, but I'd also like my boat to sail)?

I'm obviously not looking to win regattas, but rather have a fun, cute little boat to play with on the lake, and on the off chance that I ever make it to a footy event, be able to "compete" (i.e. lolligag behind the rest around the course)

thanks,
    Rick (who will have to hit up graham for his source of dapper little footy-scale sailors, since this boat would definately need one)

Summers - Lake Fenton, MI Winters: Sebring, FL

Default Re: Semiscale Footy Catboat

Lookup posts by "Flavio" from Italy. His boats are real classy looking and he is a Naval architect besides. Also ask for his comments on your ideas.
    Best Regards, Frank

US-12
    Soling 1M
    Fairwind
    ASymetrical Stern Footys
    FF-1 007 "Half @$$" w/Flames
    FF-2 007 "GoldFoot" w/Direct Drive Rudder

I've seen pictures of some of flavio's boats, and they're downright dreamy! Unfortunately I don't have nearly his skill, so I'm planning to stick with a more basic shaped hull (and the first iteration may skip the cabin, but the cabin adds alot of appeal to this boat imho). If he doesn't chime in I may PM him, thanks for the idea .

-Rick (who just noticed that if you took the pintail's lug sail where it lies, and moved it's mast forward to make it a gaff rig, that it would look remarkably like this cute little boat... I wonder what that would do to it's sailing characteristics though?)
    Last edited by Rick Lindsey; 03-27-2009 at 06:38 PM.

Hi Rick,

yes !

I feel that it is possible to design and build a very pretty semiscale footy based on this nice profile .

Keel and rudder should be enlarged to have "decent" ( most probably quite good ) sailing performances

Beam can be designed not exactly 100% to scale , in order to suit required stability and to have enough room for electronics

Hull could be build in a simple and easy way as a flat bottom skiff ( balsa or light ply )

Cabin can be used as "roof" of a removable waterthight box for receiver batteries and servo.

Most probably she will not be a winner, but without doubt such simple rig and hull shape could become a balanced example between "nice looking" and "decent performances".

At same time, I have no doubt that no special skills or tools are required

If you ( or somebody else ) are really interested to build this model, I would be happy to make more detailed calculations and drawings.

Let us know :-)

Flavio

Wow, Flavio, that would be awesome! Here's the other picture I have of this boat, it shows a top view and a funky side view that includes the scale keel (such as it is) and rudder

I was hoping I'd be able to handle something like this if I could avoid compound curves... Maybe some day I'll be able to build beautiful curvy boats like yours, but this seems like a good place to start!

many thanks,
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick Lindsey; 03-31-2009 at 12:40 PM.

Rick,

I'm sure there's no reason why a perfectly nice sailboat couldn't be worked up from these plans. It would of course suffer the typical cat boat problem of needing a largish rudder to counteract the the totally unbalanced sailplan.

Just make sure you balance the sailplan and the underwater areas correctly and you should be O.K. Besides, Flavio suggests you are on the right lines so it can't be a total disaster

Cheers,

firstfooty

Summers - Lake Fenton, MI Winters: Sebring, FL

OK math experts, throw some darts at these numbers.

3 laps of IC = 375 feet
    Best IC Time last July = 3:18 m:s
    Average Speed 1.29 MPH

Assunptions
    1 tack up wind @ 45 deg
    1 foot radius /4 mark roundings
    Straight down wind course
    Total Distance = 375 feet
    1 ft/sec = 0.652 MPH

I will let others compute knots.
    Best Regards, Frank

US-12