+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lithium AA good price

Default Lithium AA good price

I picked up a 12 pack of Energiser Lithium AA's today for $19.87 from Sam's Club. Possibly Walmart might have the same deal. Just a heads up because it's nice to save a 'buck' thingie.

Graham

Summers - Lake Fenton, MI Winters: Sebring, FL

Default Re: Lithium AA good price

Thanks Graham - I sent your note to members of the 5 active Footy clubs in Florida (Orlando, Titusville, Vero Beach, S. Daytona and Tanglewood in Sebring). If anyone knows of other clubs sailing Footy's in Florida, please le me know.

By the way, only one Florida club lists Footy's on the AMYA site. I sent info to get Tanglewood updated. How about your club? Is your info current? Check it out.

Graham - Looking fwd to meeting you at the Footy NCR. We Winter in Sebring for 6 months and hope to meet a lot of new Skippers. Hope they have name tags.
    Best Regards, Frank

US-12
    Soling 1M
    Fairwind
    ASymetrical Stern Footys
    FF-1 007 "Half @$$" w/Flames
    FF-2 007 "GoldFoot" w/Direct Drive Rudder

Summers - Lake Fenton, MI Winters: Sebring, FL

Default Lithium AA & Chatter???

I received the below note on chatter from Butch at Sand Point.

Anyone know what is happening that causes this chatter?

I think I remember something about Top 8? boats at Euro GP using Lithium. A number of us in Tanglewood use them with no problems. What is happening?

I did a Google search a few weeks ago and found good prices, but needed to buy a case of 500?
    -----------------------------
    Hi Frank I tried lithium batteries and they created so much chatter I went back to alkaline. Another one of our skippers experienced the same. Hope they work for you.
    Best Regards, Frank

US-12
    Soling 1M
    Fairwind
    ASymetrical Stern Footys
    FF-1 007 "Half @$$" w/Flames
    FF-2 007 "GoldFoot" w/Direct Drive Rudder

I haven't experienced any problems Frank either. I use them with Futaba 2DR and Spektrum receivers. Like Alkeline primary cells they give typically 1.5v so it shouldn't be a voltage issue... curious.

Hi Frank,

There's all diifferent types of "Lithium" batteries, partly because the advertisements use the word without telling the whole story. Perhaps he meant Lithium-Polymer, which would be over twice the voltage. If he's using consumer Lithiums like the Energizer E2, which are available in local drug stoes, then Graham's right, their top voltage is only slightly higher than a similar sized alkaline cell, and it shouldn't be enough to cause a problem. Maybe Butch can elaborate. Sanyo has some new Lithium based batteries called "Eneloop" which store their charge longer between chargings. They are made in both AA & AAA, and are not as lightweight as Energizer E2, but they are rechargeable, which the E2's are not. I've been looking locally for their AAA cells, and have only found them in multi-packages (2 AAA's with 4 AA's, or 2 AAA's with 4 AA's plus charger and AA to C & D adapter casings) at Costco, and 4 AA packs (but no AAA's) at Wolf Camera. I really hate to mailorder these, as the shipping will be almost as much as the batteries!

Regards,
    Bill Nielsen
    Oakland Park, FL USA
    Last edited by sailtwister; 01-03-2009 at 06:33 AM. Reason: spelling & punctuation

Can anyone recommend AA and AAA rechargable batterys and battery chargers? I would like to change from alkaline to rechargeable for my transmitter and wonder what has worked well for other people. Will 1.2 volt rechargeables work well in Futaba or Hi-Tech 2 channel transmitters or will the voltage be too low? Will good quality rechargeables last for a day of sailing? I have gone through a lot of alkaline transmitter batteries in the last year.

I use Energizer AA Lithiums in my boats with no problems, and they last for a long time. I may have to try out the AAA's when the rules change. Has anyone weighed the Energizer lithium AAA's?

I have used rechargables in both Futaba and High Tech without any problems. Bob

Glitching etc

I have noticed a problem with the lithium AA cells, which may be related to their slightly higher voltage, combined with the particular receiver that I have. Occasionally the sail servo will glitch, and pull the sail all the way in while running. I have reverted to regular alkaline cells to prevent this. I have measured the Li cells, and the 4-cell pack has a no-load voltage of 7.1 volts until the day they die. Under heavy load, they are very stiff, and don't drop much at all. My receiver is a 75 mhz Futaba, with BEC, which appears to regulate the servo voltage to 6V. I think that the stiff battery voltage may be causing overheating of the regulator in the radio, which in turn may be causing the erratic behavior. The heaviest load occurs down-wind, which maximizes the heating of the regulator.

The above is my present analysis of the problem, but I have not yet proven it beyond a doubt.

The published data, on energizer.com, appears to be far too conservative, at least for the 4 cells that I purchased. The published data shows a fall off in voltage with use, as well as a fall off with load. Unfortunately the batteries are much better than the published data. It would appear that dropping back to 3 cells would be the optimum solution. Under the current rules, it might be reasonable to carry 4 cells but not use one. This problem will go away when the new rules go into effect. 3-cell battery holders are available at some electronic parts suppliers, including digikey.com, in both AA and AAA configurations.
    Footy #95 - Pepsi Torpedo (returned to township re-cycling bin)
    Footy #140 - 3-Liter Torpedo (root beer bottle) - still competitive, partially retired
    Footy #340 - Modified Bob-About 2 - actively competing
    Footy #395 - Keel-Forward Footy with 14" water line

Remember to charge your cells before use.... IIRC, Energizer Lithiums don't come charged -- BTDT. But you can get a swell chargher that will charge them in about (15?) minutes.
    Sail honest.
    Rock music.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Will 1.2 volt rechargeables work well in Futaba or Hi-Tech 2 channel transmitters or will the voltage be too low? Will good quality rechargeables last for a day of sailing? I have gone through a lot of alkaline transmitter batteries in the last year.
    It shouldn't matter which cells you are using in the radios, as long as they are good cells and properly charged. Don't mix battery types (Lithiums with alkalines, NiCd or NiMH)

I use a set of 2300 maH NiMH in mt transmitter, and they will literally last all day. It takes longer to charge tho, but automatic chargers can handle that, or at least most of a full charge overnight, and I finish the charging using a 12V peak charger (Hobbico Quick Field Charger MkII) in the car on the way to the lake.

Remember to turn off the stuff when not using it.

thx
    Sail honest.
    Rock music.

+ Reply to Thread