I thought I might make a build log for the first boat I've ever built. I decided to do a footy Razor, to keep build costs down and to hopefully see it through, since I'm a novice at boats.
So far I have purchased the following:
2- 1/32"x6"x36" sheets of balsa
1- 1/8"x4"x36" sheet of balsa
2- 3/32"x3/32"x36" square balsa sticks
Elmers Carpenters Glue
I printed out the Razor plans from http://footy.rcsailing.net/plans.php on 8.5"x14" paper.
I cut out the patterns and taped them together to get a feel for how it would go with wood. I then printed out and cut another set for applying to the Balsa. I modified the bow angle a little and the bottoms to match the change. I used stick glue for paper to adhere the patterns to the Balsa. I cut the patterns out of the Balsa using an Exacto knife. I tried the scissors, but it's easier for me, with the Exacto. I have done other types of wood models and I'm familliar with an Exacto knife.
Below are a couple of photos of the patterns. This will probably be a long build, just because of funds. After I assemble the hull, keel and rudder, I will have to wait a couple of months to buy the servos, radio, etc.... So the thread might be gone for a while....... But I will try to see it all through and keep updating as I can.
Added - I just finished gluing it together. Harder than I expected. I had to use CA & I'm not familliar with it, but it's glued now. I used Wood glue on the inside seams for now...... Here's a couple of pictures.