+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP,want to buy cat or trimaran yacht !!

Default HELP,want to buy cat or trimaran yacht !!

hi guys,
    im glen from Australia.
    on you tube ive seen some awsome trimaran qulity yachts.
    can some one please help advise me where i can buy a quality trimaran or cataraman please ??
    who makes them??,how much?? e.c.t
    iv searched on the internet every where and all i could come up with is a fidji or a wild /fast cat rc models!!
    iv seen the awsome nice doug lord micro f3 but he isnt making any more till end of year.
    so which is better for speed and fun factor, a cat or a trimaran ??
    can you reccomend any decent nice brand models or manufactures please??
    hope to hear back from you guys
    cheers
    glen
    Victoria
    Australia

Default Re: HELP,want to buy cat or trimaran yacht !!

Sorry Glenn - but due to limited interest - there aren't any "true" production multihulls other than those you noted.

There is possibility of a couple "semi-custom" multihulls being built and from the U.K. and/or France, but due to size, freight costs might be a problem.

You could try Alan Hayes in New Zealand as he had his Mini40 trimaran up for sail - but not sure if it breaks down for shipping - at least he is close by. Try here to contact him: http://radioyachting.com/

Do a search here in the "multihulls" section and look for a fellow by name of Andrew. He built his own, he's from Australia, and he may have molds available to at least produce the hulls for you. The rest of the parts can be obtained via most local R/C shops .... carbon tubes for mast, sails, and radio gear.

Not sure about the MicroSail foiler. Back in 2000 when Doug was promoting it - he was asking close to $3,000 (US) for it. I have to think it is more expensive today. As an FYI - don't send money until he has boat done. Too many try to become "builders" and take money, then forget to build boat. His other F-48/Mini40's never showed up - so suspect they never were really built. At the time, he was pushing multihulls with moving ballast, then foilers, then he was off into canting keel monohulls, and then skiffs and finally Moth class foilers - plus building his own "foiling" real boat - of which no one saw photos with it up on foils. Was a lot of talk and theory - but not much came out of his workshop. All I'm suggesting is to be careful. Another well known "builder" (???) was Ernst Zeamann (also called himself Idealist) who promoted imself as a builder but a few folks would disagree. He's out of Austria. Again - be careful.

As for cost - if you are looking to purchase a ready-to-sail boat - consider a budget of perhaps $1500- $1800.

Hi Glen,
    I'm in Brissy and have just finished a 1.5m Tri. I've vacuum moulded the hulls and had the first test sail in the weekend, in about 5 or so knots the tri really got up and flew. I'm looking a making several if anyone is interested to try and get a bit of a one design class happening. If you're interested I will post some pics in the next few day's. It is a big boat but I have made the beams and hulls with bolt on flanges so it can be fully dismantled to fit in a car...
    Cheers
    Dave

Hey Dave - please keep us posted via this forum. I am usually getting questions about boats already built and would be happy to reference people to you as a potential source - but you do your own thing. I'm just the traffic cop - pointing the way.

Thanks, Dick

PM Me if you wish.
    Last edited by Dick Lemke; 10-20-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Added PM note
    Dick Lemke
    Minnesota, USA
    AMYA member

"The F-48 Multihull Class - Remarkable for its rarity - unmatched in originality"

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Horse View Post
    Hi Glen,
    I'm in Brissy and have just finished a 1.5m Tri. I'm looking a making several if anyone is interested to try and get a bit of a one design class happening.
    Cheers
    Dave
    Hi Dave, Well done on your initiative with the trimaran.

My question, (without trying to come across as a prick, is, ) why try to foster yet another one design class and not build to an existing class and so have a bigger potential market as well as existing designs with which to compare yours?

You may already know that there are classes for multi`s of "one metre "
    "One point two " two and three metre`s " all sailing in various parts of the world.
    The bigger the better as far as ease of sailing goes, while the larger craft become a bit of a challenge to transport.

Anyway best wishes for your endeavour and keep us posted here if you will. Cheers.
    Do it NOW before it`s too late.
    Add Lightness !
    MICRO MAGIC NZL 01 "TAHI"
    IOM V5 NZL99
    Canterbury J NZL 196
    RG65 in the build
    Four foot six vintage, launching soon
    10 R Phoenix NZL 20

Here's a pic of theTri on the water in about 5 -8 knots...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Abimbo 19-10-08_01.jpg‎
Views:	294
Size:	739.4 KB
ID:	2274  

Here's another Pic of the Tri after some more development. I'm currently building a second boat to improve on the construction/weight of the first a tweaking the foils a little more. Making moulds for the cross beams so their weight will be reduced for the same stiffness..
    Will hopefully have the new boat sailing by early January 09..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tri-Foiling.jpg‎
Views:	214
Size:	903.7 KB
ID:	2439  

Dave that looks good.. how does it perform? but the big question is... did you have fun.. i know I design my own boats and people can say what ever. but i do have fun
    so bravo and well done. keep dick informed . he can help alot
    as for different classes... we cvan say that about all the classes. why do we need a us 1 meter? when we have the IOM. or why do we need a seawind class. when we have the victoria and soling classes?
    simple. those classes appeal to something in that person. as for the multi hull class. dick may know more about this. and i dont want to step on toes. but I can see alot of fun in that class but nothing has drawn me into it? if you know what i mean. maybe i will look at this one. and say. yeah. i can get one cheap. and it is easy to drive. and maybe fun to drive
    long live my detroit tigers

Dick remains quiet on the topic/subject.

hi there guys,
    hope you all had a great x-mas.
    im still around fellas and keen.
    thanks for your replies and chat r.e my thread/post!!
    sorry iv had log in problems and computer problems & had to sign up with a user name.
    im still keen on buying a trimaran !!!
    dave,( dark horse) thanks for your nice pics of your tri,nice,looks great.
    iv sent you pm and email r.e it!!
    im interested in buying one of you if possible??
    hope to hear from you soon
    cheers
    glen
    email is sxy_corvette@hotmail.com
    Dandenong,victoria-Australia
    0405 801 586
    aussie_sailer
    Last edited by toycsi; 12-29-2008 at 01:08 AM.

+ Reply to Thread