+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FOOTY Performance.

Default FOOTY Performance.

I thought it better to start a thread regarding FOOTY performance so that the BLUE-SKY II thread was not swamped by performance thoughts.
    Do it NOW before it`s too late.
    Add Lightness !
    MICRO MAGIC NZL 01 "TAHI"
    IOM V5 NZL99
    Canterbury J NZL 196
    RG65 in the build
    Four foot six vintage, launching soon
    10 R Phoenix NZL 20

brilliant Ian! this should be an interesting and informative thread... [ it think i will save my views for the morning, when my words are more likely to make sense...]
    the pessimist complains about the wind, the optimist expects it to change, the realist trims the sails.

Footys:
    USA 39 Bearfoot
    USA 62 Stiletto
    USA 190 Eclipse
    USA 97 Orange Crush
    USA ??? Albatross (in progress!)

Sparkman Micro Marine
    builders of Footy hulls

I would agree as others have suggested that the FOOTY is not a planing craft.
    Some beginning model yacht designers make the mistake of designing their hulls in the style of dinghys whereas IMHO they should be thought of as "keelboats."
    Because we do not have moveable ballast in the form of a crew we are forced to use a fixed fin and bulb which makes our hulls (especially FOOTYS) heavy for their length.
    That is the nature of model yachts as we are currently sailing them. (yes I know about the exceptions)

I will predict that FOOTYS will evolve to have an average displacement of 500 grams.
    The hull shapes that will do well will not be extreme in any way but simple low drag fuller shapes.
    Rigs will be simple, either una or swing and of moderate height around 450mm maximum.

My contension stated elsewhere is that all radio yachts in what ever class you sail have the same potential top speed based on their LWL.
    Races are not won but are lost, measured in boat lengths at a time.
    So it is with the FOOTY class.
    The winner of any race or regatta will be the skipper who has the skill to sail his craft to it`s full potential.
    That means that he has the reliability to finish every race, the knowledge and experience to tune his sails for the conditions and the helmsmanship to keep his yacht moving at the best speed on every leg of the course.
    Being able to pick the shifts and predict the tactics of his compeditors is a skill that will be of assistance.

To sum up:
    All the best boats will be very similar in performance.
    It will be skipper skill that determines the winner (as in any other class )

This oracle has spoken..........
    Do it NOW before it`s too late.
    Add Lightness !
    MICRO MAGIC NZL 01 "TAHI"
    IOM V5 NZL99
    Canterbury J NZL 196
    RG65 in the build
    Four foot six vintage, launching soon
    10 R Phoenix NZL 20

What do you say to those people who keep thinking that winning heats is nothing but outright speed, or drag racing? They keep the sail in tight on any point but directly downwind, and get mad when you warm them about coming to far down to leeward...
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 03-16-2007 at 08:58 AM.
    Sail honest.
    Rock music.

Hi Tomo......tricky question.

I think reminding them that the leeward boat has right of way is important. Racing skippers need to learn at least the basic rules of sailing....we have that obligation if we want to play together. Since the entire set of racing rules can be overwhelming, many clubs have had better success with a list of 10 or 12 basic rules. When I see lots of violations of a rule during club days, I call a brief meeting between heats to talk about the rule as a reminder to all skippers.

In our club, I also try (as Commodore) to discourage temper tantrums...they reduce the fun factor for everyone. While we all get frustrated occasionally, and can be understanding of that in others, skippers who are constantly abusive are not welcome at our club.

The tendency to think all points of sail are either a beat or a run is something I've noticed in many beginning sailors...they haven't yet developed the feel for the wind needed to maximize the sail position at more subtle angles to the wind. I coach people on this, usually once they notice that someone elses boat always seems a little faster than theirs on a given leg of the course. Until they see that, they may not be receptive to a suggestion.

Bill H

Oops...it just occured to me that we are hijacking Ian's thread that he created so that we wouldn't hijack Trevor's thread........sorry

Bill,

It's the same thing I see about everywhere.

Newer people think yacht racing is all about "going fast" so they just go straight to the next mark, and if you're in the way, it 's your fault, no matter what, because they were ( basically just minding their own business) and give you that "what? I did something wrong?" look. Trying to inform them about rules or right-of-way stuff just wastes your breath. "why didn't you hail first?" is the usual excuse.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 03-16-2007 at 09:07 AM.
    Sail honest.
    Rock music.

Quote Originally Posted by IanHB View Post
    To sum up:
    All the best boats will be very similar in performance.
    It will be skipper skill that determines the winner (as in any other class )
    Just to be horribly circular about this then ... what constitutes the best boat ???

As for tactics ... hell, covering the strongest skipper requires the least thought and ensures the most consistent results ... boring though.

Trevor-

T answer your question, I think you'd better define what "best boat" means.

To me, the best boat can tow a pint with it to keep it at the best temperature. Either that, or knowing that it will go the whole day without mechanical problems, or getting water inside when it's choppy.

Seriously... do you want speed, or maneuverability, deck size, wind capacity ( to sail in any kind of pressure) or what? You can only go after one at a time. Maybe even prioritize things.
    Last edited by TomoHawk; 03-16-2007 at 10:01 AM.
    Sail honest.
    Rock music.

Quote Originally Posted by TomoHawk View Post
    Trevor-

Maybe for your question, think you'd better define what "best boat" means. To me, the best boat can tow a pint with it to keep it at the best temperature.
    Yeah yeah ... twas snarky too ... by these now gelling standards the committee boat (provided its generator is powered) just may be the best boat

Footies, tmark. Footies...
    Sail honest.
    Rock music.

+ Reply to Thread