+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best glass to use

Default best glass to use

I'm trying my hand at a scratch built hull, what is the best glass to use,and epoxy?

Mike - my choice:

I use 4 or 6 oz. glass for hull building with Gougeon Brother's WEST SYSTEM<font size="1">tm</font id="size1"> epoxy system - resin, hardner, and fillers. Exterior layer on hulls I use 1/2 oz. glass cloth.

Generally I purchase my glass from RAKA out of Florida, unless local WEST MARINE (no relation to WEST SYSTEM<font size="1">tm</font id="size1">) is having a sale off the roll. Lately I have found less and less need for the 6 oz. stuff, as it takes too much resin to fill the weave.

I used WEST SYSTEM<font size="1">tm</font id="size1"> for my big boat, and it simply has carried over to the little ones. Lots of other brands that people have used and recommend too.

Just don't use the "rubbery" kind of epoxy you can get at hardware and home building centers.

there are two epoxies that i use for carbon work:

west systems for repairs, fillers, and non-elements conditions (i.e. not left rigged up and in the hot sun, such as masts, tubes, poles, etc.).
    pro-set epoxy for structure building and in-element conditions

west systems has more elasticity than pro-set. it also kicks quicker than pro-set, but has a lower ?high end yield strength? than pro-set. pro-set also has a ?higher glass transition temperature? rating, meaning if you have something that will be left out in the elements, it will take much more heat (than west systems) before it distorts and looses it?s original shape. obviously this is not a large concern with r/c yachts, but can be hugely important in full scale.

cheers

SP systems Ampreg 20 epoxy. Dont use glass except for moulds. Carbon is the stuff!

Luff 'em & leave 'em.

well put matt!
    wish the price of ampreg over here (OZ) was as cheap as over there.

ahhhhh sp systems ampreg 200 is the way to go (so im told(im too cheap to buy it dew to the fact that is more then doubly the price of most outher epoxies even west(which is crap and not a trew epoxy)))

Never hold your farts in.
    They travel up your spine, into your brain,
    and that's where sh*+y ideas come from.

Thx to all, your advice was very helpful the hull came out awsome, (for a first planked hull). got alot of sanding ahead though. i have taken about 40 detailed pictures of the construction i will try to post later (not all forty)
    anyone interested please inquire. detailed instruction is very limited or i just put my tree stand in the wrong place........... again thx

.... just to note here, West Systems is <u>not</u> in fact "crap". That is just one persons opinion here.

i have to agree with greg here. west is NOT crap. i used it for a while. I dont mind the stuff , BUT now i use mgs firbeglass. i find the resin to be harder, and easier to apply. even though the mgs need a weight scale to use. west is used by a pump. west is also cheaper. you should kep that in mind
    cougar
    long live the cup and cris dickson

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by michaelb

even west(which is crap and not a trew epoxy)
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Boy - I'm not sure I could agree with this statement! I hate to think of the number of kayaks, Tornado cats, DN Class iceboats, 1/4, 1/2 and 1 ton boats, one design classes and PHRF classes tha have used and rely on WEST SYSTEM<font size="1">tm</font id="size1"> products. Too numerous to count - but "ADRENALIN" (Formula40 trimaran) and "SLINGSHOT" (World Speed Record attempt) and Phil Weld's old trimaran "ROGUE WAVE" (from OSTAR days) are just a few examples of boats that have a "few miles" on them and actually RELY on the stuff to hold their hulls together !

Also Michael - you might want to drop an email to Meade Gougeon and discuss how it is that his 35 year old trimaran is still kicking ass in the Port Huron to Mackinaw Island races - it was built of this same "crap" and is still very competitive AND fast on the Great Lakes. In my opinion, and I could be wrong, WEST SYSTEM<font size="1">tm</font id="size1"> products have been holding boats together far longer than some "other" companies have been in business.

As far as "not" being a true epoxy - upon what do you base your opinion? Just curious.

+ Reply to Thread