+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: some questions please

Default some questions please

Hi
    I was driving past a lake the other day and saw some r/c boats sailing. Although I have been building r/c boats for years, I have never sailed or built one that is any particlur design. The boats on this day that I saw were monohulls and multihulls.

What my question is, if I wanted to get into class racing, what would be the best boat. I have raced full size monohulls and multihulls so I have a pretty good idea of how to handle either.

These boats were the first ones I seen around here, although I have never gone looking for boats to sail with.

My funds to get involved are unlimited, but I wouldn't think that much money would be needed to get going, based on what it costs to build and sail the things that I sail at the moment.

Thanks. StevenA

steven
    you have asked a good question. sailing can be expensive , but it does not have to be. i would suggest going to talk to the sailors you saw. and ask what they are sailing. and get one of those. if there do not have a class boat. then i would suggest looking into a seawing, or a us 1 meter, if they sail a IOM. go after a boat called epoch. i have one of those. and it sails quite well
    cougar
    long live the cup

Thanks
    I just realised that I put this in the multihull section. I probably posted in this section as I was thinking more like getting a multihull because they looked like more fun and quite frankly I hadn't thought of building one of those before.

So the question is now, are there any designers around so that I could get some plans to build one. I live in Australia so I guess that there are really good designs/plans maybe here but more likely in other places around the world. Hopefully I can access some plans on the net, or failing that have some posted to me for a price.

I would also appreciate input as to what to watch out for,design wise, if there are any problems relating to multihull's.
    The other thing is, am I on the right track wanting to go with a multihull. I am open minded and would appreciate all the assistance I can get.

Thanks StevenA

Welcome Steven

I am the secretary of the Qld r/c multihull club. We race at north lakes in brisbane if you are close come out and see us. There are several multihull designs available, but as with any class there are good ones and bad ones. My suggestion would be to go with available plans like Snapdragon, Ghost Train, Freight Train or Pulse. If done of these suit you, you could try contacting Ian Sammis, he is on here occasionally. He builds a design called Nightmare. The other person around on here, apart from myself is Doug Lord from Microsail.

My suggestion to you for things to watch out for are multihull's can capsize quite easily if you aren't paying attention to them and have the wrong design. The other thing to consider is tri or cat. In my opinion tri's are easier to sail and if you use the right design less likely to capsize.

Hope this helps.

Peter

Peter

Thanks for that. I live near Maryborough, so it's a little far to go to Brisbane, but maybe if I need any input I can talk to you in person. I suppose also if I came down I could see your boats.

StevenA

lorsail Guest

Steven, you have to decide if you want to race; if you'd rather build or buy ready to sail and that will help you decide multihull vs monohull. Go to clubs that are racing both types and try the boats before you spend any money. Most people will be generous with their time in introducing you to rc sailing.

edt:sp
    Doug Lord
    --High Technology Sailing/Racing

Thanks for that Doug
    I am really interested in building a boat. I never trust the workmanship of some-one else, as far as this type of thing is concerned anyway.

I would like race, but I will have to first learn to sail the thing first. I don't think that will take to long.

Could you please tell me what I should be using to build the boat(materials). I normally use either balsa or carbon fibre. Hopefully both of these will be allowed. I have been looking around the net and have seen a boat called the mini40, do you know much about them?

I was trying to find the rules, but have been unable to. The designs Peter(from here) told me about seem a bit old. (sorry Peter).

I see by your post that you are in the USA. Is the class (mini40) big over there, or is the "home" of it somewhere else?

Thanks StevenA

lorsail Guest

Stevre, because of some problems we had with the original founders of the mini 40 in Europe(the French) a couple of us here myself and Dick Lemke-formed the Formula 48 Class. It is similar to a mini 40 and any min 40 could be an F48 but not every F48 could be a mini 40. A bit confusing!
    You might contact Dick Lemke (see F48 contact below in this section)in regard to some plans but thebest source would be Pierre Gonnet in France-a several time mini 40 European Champion that has a company called PG Modellisme; sorry I don't have the URL. You might get real up to date plans there.
    You might want to make a point of sailing Peter's boats as a frame of reference and because he seems like he would be real helpful regarding conventional rc multihulls.
    Again, before you build or go forward too much make it a point to sail an rc multihull-they can be a handfull but the speed is quite something to behold.

Doug Lord
    --High Technology Sailing/Racing

Steven

The designs I mentioned in my opinion are a good starting point with design. We started there but some of our members have progressed to other boats with development. I suggested using them because they are easy to get a hold of.

Doug's suggestion of going into F-48, or following the French ideas my not work over here in Australia, different sailing conditions.

Peter

Hi Steven -

a variety of plans have been posted on the Multihull sight. Also many are accompanied by photos of boats actually sailing. Depending on construction techniques and materials on-hand, costs can vary widely. Also glass over foam is an alternative accepted method for building.

As you may read in other posts, Doug has a list of questions to ask regarding the design of boat you are considering. A great idea. I would add one more - ask whomever is providing advice and recommendations - "How many of this class do YOU have sailing?"

Please note that what I have provided are alternatives for your choice and decision. Email a few others who have actual experience - especially Peter as to what works locally and what doesn't.

Welcome !

+ Reply to Thread