+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BAOW Performance Number

Default BAOW Performance Number

As noted in a different post/topic here on this forum, Doug Lord seems to insist we all need to become more involved in numerical data in order to determine the best multihull to purchase, for a given, expected, performance.

The BAOW Performance Number (rating from 0 to 10) can provide a quick, effective and easy to understand guide number for determining which boat should be selected for your immediate, pending multihull purchase.

With a significant amount of data to back up my research, I find the following, current, BAOW Performance Numbers:

My F-48 (Water Resist design) is a 4
    My MultiONE is a 7.
    Peter's (Birch) Mini40 multihull, is a 10.
    Jack Ronda in Washington has a MultiONE that is also rated as a 10
    Based on available information Matthew Lingly's rates a 9 - possibly a 10
    A significant number of French multihulls rate a 10
    Bill Hojnacki has a NIGHTMARE that rates a 10

Unfortunately, I don't have data on <u>ANY</u> Microsail F-48 or MultiONE products, but I am guessing they would rate from a 2 or 3 to a 7 (maybe an 8.5) but until I know that data it is strictly speculative at this time. Once I can obtain confirmation of data, I can update the ratings.

These BAOW Performance Numbers give a good indication of what can be expected - and in any wind strengths for a variety of designs. Unfortunately, it doesn't take into account sail area, since that can be varied at the skipper's choice, but that doesn't play an important role in the rating of these various designs.

Those looking for that magic formula when purchasing a multihull might want to give this rating system a consideration. A <font color="red">"0" </font id="red">rating is a boat I would never recommend for consideration. A <font color="orange">"5" </font id="orange">is a design to perhaps watch and consider. Any boat noted above rated at <font color="green">9 or 10 </font id="green">is a suggested as a "best buy" for optimal, immediate performance on the water.

lorsail Guest

Can you describe in detail how you calculate this number?

Doug Lord
    --High Technology Sailing/Racing

Dick

Thanks mate. This calculation was given to you in confidence with the understanding that it should never be published. It took a hell of a long time, and numerous long distance phone calls to work out if the system does work, not only here but in other places around the world.

You were included in the original information gathering process, but I now wonder if you should have been at all.

Your post doesn't show the actual facts. The system, as we have recently discovered, will actually show boats can rate higher than ten.

Thanks again for posting something that was meant to be kept among the "select" few.

Peter

Peter, my apologies for the post. It was my understanding that the rating process was confidential, but the actual rating numbers would be OK to use.

Doug, the process of using the formula is pretty straight forward and when explained to me makes a lot of sense. Based on a scientific principle, it is an accepted method that could be used pretty much worldwide. I think I heard that the process had been developed some time ago and had been recently used by some of the Volvo 60 syndicates, but I could be wrong. If I am wrong I must apologize and will go ba

Hmmmm - something happened to my post.

If I am wrong I must apologiz

Not sur e wha

lorsail Guest

Now, let me get this straight : this is a secret formula veritably steeped in scientific research,right?
    You say it is a "performance" number ,right?
    Well, how in the world can you have a "performance" number that doesn't consider the "engine"? You specifically say that sail area is not considered. That means you cannot measure available power!
    So how can any "performance" number be valid that doesn't in some way measure power?
    How about power to carry sail? How about susceptability to pitchpole/capsize?
    If a number or combination of numbers could be achieved that present this data you would have something....

Doug Lord
    --High Technology Sailing/Racing

Dick
    I think you might be having a problem with your internet. your posts are a little choppy. Might want to run a virus check, to see if your IE is infected with some kind of trojan horse or data minning bug.

-Dan

Te t T st

C ap!

I have e-mailed Dick about his posts and his BAOW calculations and received back a garbled e-mail from him. I belive he may have some form of computer virus on his computer.

-Dan

+ Reply to Thread