+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J-Class Revisited: Modern J-Class Design Contest

Default J-Class Revisited: Modern J-Class Design Contest

If interested in exploring the idea of discovering if a J-class yacht could be designed to be competitive with today's technology, check out Earl Bobert's Modern J-Class Design Contest.

The rules:

http://www.swcp.com/usvmyg/JContest.pdf

The Other Matt

lorsail Guest

Is there a way to get a hard copy of the rules? Can't open a pdf file...

Doug Lord
    --High Technology Sailing/Racing

I'll bet that if you added some of the latter day 12 meter bustles and the IACC double knuckle bow "rule beater" design features, as well as some refinements of the appendages and sailplan, you might have a significant performance improvement. Of course, you would have lost all the elegance of the classic designs.

Instead of a boat with thuroughbred lines, you would have a pokemon character!

- Will

Will Gorgen

I ttried copying and pasting, Doug, and it didn't work because there are pictures in there. Why don't you email Earl at boebert@swcp.com? He might be able to get them to you.

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme, Wind in the Willows.

Will said:

"I'll bet that if you added some of the latter day 12 meter bustles and the IACC double knuckle bow "rule beater" design features, as well as some refinements of the appendages and sailplan, you might have a significant performance improvement."

The old boys thought of that. Hollows in a plane of measurement are bridged with straight lines for measurement purposes. The Universal Rule (on which the J's are based) was in effect for 20 years in half a dozen classes, and the A Class model rule (which uses the same quarter beam length idea) has been in effect for 80, and I haven't seen a "rule beater" yet.

Cheers,

Earl

My new favorite yacht is the Reliance, '03 defender. I know she's not a J, but has anybody put one in the water?

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats. Kenneth Graeme, Wind in the Willows.

7. Default

The "Reliance" would be one hell of an interesting boat to model. I have her lines in a book at home and she looks sleeker than a J. When I was a kid I used to love to look at pictures of the "Reliance" with her absolutely colossal sail plan.

matt
    the pdf filed worked for me.
    i just clicked on it and it worked
    long live the cup
    cougar

9. Default

I've been to two reghattas at Mystic with the J class models. They're pretty impressive boats! Eighty five pounds is a hell of a lot of model yacht to schlep around. To me there is something about the lines of boats like the RANGER and RELIANCE that comes close to great Art like a Michaelangelo sculpture.

(I'm staying tuned for further developments on the 36 inch J class)

Off topic I know, but what the heck

My <u>J</u>. Whirlwind, at Mystic in 2001

+ Reply to Thread