Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Little America's Cup

Default Little America's Cup

Check this solid wing rig out

http://www.lacaustralia.com/images/w...43_400x300.jpg

Have the aussies got it right?????????

i dont know , but it sure looks wierd
    cougar

It's different. How would they measure it?

Can you really call it match racing? Are the boats really "matched?" As far as the smaller ones (36/600, USOM, 50s), I have never seen two that were close enough to do a fair match race. One boat always had an advantage in speed because of hull design or skipper skill. By hull design I'm talking about a mongooseII against a seawind.

"Usually" (?) in match racing, they do stick to one-design boats, to remove any advantages or disadvantages from the equation. Sail area, keel depth, weight, length and beam are some of the more common areas where they try to keep identical. In the case of this class - after the big "blow-up" there are now two different class championships. You have the the Sea Cliff Yacht Club run event which moved from "C" Class boats to the Formula 18HT small beach cats. More boats, but most if not all were production and built to a fairly tight set of rules/specifications. Then there is the "C" Class Championships where the class is really "Developmental" but also controlled by a basic "box rule" - like 25 foot length, 300 sq. feet of sail area and 14 foot beam. While this event tries to keep the basic physical dimensions the same - they allow for a lot of development within those few parameters to encourage new ideas.

Within the R/C world - the closest to the "C Class development box rules is the F-48 and to some extent the Mini 40 multihull classes - where a "box dimension" and few restrictions allow development and innovation. In the monohull side of things, there are a few more restrictions - but the 36/600, and the US1Meter classes are about the most open. I also would include the "M" Class and the 10 Rater, but perhaps to a lesser degree of development. In a nutshell, (my opinion) unless the class is a very strict one-design (Laser and Soling 1 Meter come to mind) most classes all allow some degree of home building/modification. Maybe only to rig, or maybe only to hull, but generally most have set limitations within their rules determining which areas you can go.

I suppose, even the F-48 class is a bit restrictive, since they require 2 or more hulls !

Once you try to compete between classes as you have noted, without a good, well established handicap system, it is pretty difficult to match race boats or compare their performances.

As to "skipper skills" - One thing you need to realize, is that "MATCH" racing is supposed to show differences in skipper's skill ! They try to take boat performance out of the equation as much as possible. The idea is that if the two boats really are equal, than it SHOULD be the skipper's skill that determines the outcome. Yes - boats can be identical - and it is the skipper's skill that determines the winner.

[:-spin]Rather than thinking of it as MATCH-RACING, it may be better to think of this contest as similar to NHRA Drag Racing.
    The basic class rules are laid out to encourage clever design and engineering to build the fastest thing on water around the bouys.
    You still need a skilled skipper and crew but history shows us some forward thinking in past years.[:-propeller]

Do it NOW before it`s too late.

Good point - and excellent comparison!

I think to have real "match racing" between r/c yachts, you will either have to throw the rulebook away or reinvent all the rules to make things more compareable to regular match racing. I agree that most of the time, people try to "drag race" their boats around the course. That's not "match racing!!" What that means is that in order to protect your 'advantage' or keep the other guy from getting away, you will have to be about to make more drastic maneuvers and other things, like protecting a mark- forcing the other boat into a foul Or maybe even a penalty for being too far ahead! Of course the latter part implies a handicap system.

The basic problem is that most people think yacht racing means getting to the finish line the "fastest." In yacht racing, it really means just getting there "first."

That's why I don't "race." I just sail.

Tomohawk,

Many groups have very successfully done RC match racing. There is an annual series in Washington DC (on the reflecting pool in front of the Washington monument) where they do an elimination series in CR914s. Here in detroit we had a series last summer for Victorias. I have also heard of match racing using EC12s, ACs and many other well matched boats. These series all use the establinshed ISAF match racing rules (which include some important differences from the standard fleet racing rules).

However, this discussion is focused on the C class catamaran series known as the little americas cup which is less about one design match racing and more about technology development "drag racing".

- Will

Will Gorgen

lorsail Guest

According to Steve Clark on Sailing Anarchy he is adding hydrofoils to the American defender! (Or is he just saying that?)

Doug Lord
    --High Technology Sailing/Racing

+ Reply to Thread